Solved Windows 7 "No bootable device" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyler711

Thread author
Apr 26, 2013
Hello, I have read through a few threads and suggestions for this problem and tried a few without success thus far.

Here's the breakdown,

I have a mac mini which I have taken apart to replace the ram and HD with better ram and an SSD, It has been working fine for about a year.

I use bootcamp with OSX on a 120g partition Windows 7 on another 120gig partition.

Two days ago windows froze and it forced a restart of the computer (Not typical but has happened before). Upon restart windows tried to load and got stuck in the starting windows screen. After waiting several minutes I cycled the power switch and turned the pc back on and attempted to start up windows again which is the first time i got the

"No bootable device --insert boot disk and press any key" error

My first thought was "crap failed SSD" however I rebooted again this time trying the OSX partition and it booted fine, I could do everything on the mac side.

So I tried going through the system repair tools however when it tries to find the drive and OS to repair nothing shows up in the list. I continued on anyway and tried the bootrec.exe /fixmbr in the console window and restarted the system

No luck, still get the No bootable device

Any advice suggestions or if you need further information please ask

Thanks in advance
-Kyler

Kyler711

Thread author
Apr 26, 2013
Update:

... It now says Invalid system disk, Replace the disk and press any key...

Actually this sounds like it's skipping past the boot drive and trying to boot off of the USB so meh.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can the boot process be configured via BootCamp? Or you may need to use http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

I haven't experience with either using OS X or 'rEFInd Boot Manager' (link above).

Upvote 0

Kyler711

Thread author
Apr 26, 2013
Yes, you can manually select which drive/partition to start by holding "alt" on start up. All drives appear there, (MacOSX partition, Windows partition and the auto installed recovery HD for OSX). When selecting the boot drive through this process it starts to load windows then goes to the black screen with "No bootable device ..."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.