Troubleshoot Windows 7 Upgrade to 10, stuck on Logo

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Trying to upgrade Windows 7 to 10... Hard drive seems to have stopped blinking activity,... Windows 10 Logo just spins for about 30 mins....

Nothing seems to happen, things seemed pretty smooth until the REPEAT installation part of Windows 10.

This seems very dormant and silent, I tried turning the PC off and on, and it just recovers installation to the same looping circle and windows icon.

What to do now?? PC specs are pretty good, Strong CPU, and 4GB of RAM. So hardware should handle this....

It should be done by now right... its been a while.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
ok i hit f12, and just resumed from HD and its now saying restoring ur previous windows...

whatever... seems like it wants 7 back, now what

Update: Installation failed, in second_Boot phase, with error during boot operation.

0xC1900101-0X40017

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I have a media creation tool from a successful windows 10 downgrade to 7 for my bro,. would this work?

but this windows 7 never installed 10 properly, i dont know if this thing can do it,

heres the error code again

0xC1900101-0X40017

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
i tried to install again, and its downloading all over again... what happened to the install files??>>?????

Upvote 0

Trying to upgrade Windows 7 to 10... Hard drive seems to have stopped blinking activity,... Windows 10 Logo just spins for about 30 mins....

Nothing seems to happen, things seemed pretty smooth until the REPEAT installation part of Windows 10.

This seems very dormant and silent, I tried turning the PC off and on, and it just recovers installation to the same looping circle and windows icon.

What to do now?? PC specs are pretty good, Strong CPU, and 4GB of RAM. So hardware should handle this....

It should be done by now right... its been a while.

Clean install your current installation of Windows 7, fully update Windows 7 and do not install any other software (just install bare minimum drivers needed such as networking and touchpad\keyboard drivers), then try the upgrade to Windows 10.

Actually you're better off just using an Ethernet connection if you can and not worrying about installing drivers until after upgrading to Windows 10.

Just make sure you are willing to assume the risks of upgrading to Windows 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Clean install your current installation of Windows 7, fully update Windows 7 and do not install any other software (just install bare minimum drivers needed such as networking and touchpad\keyboard drivers), then try the upgrade to Windows 10.

Actually you're better off just using an Ethernet connection if you can and not worrying about installing drivers until after upgrading to Windows 10.

Just make sure you are willing to assume the risks of upgrading to Windows 10.

Yep, no risks, I have 2 windows 7 backups and its product key,.... with install files.

Only risk is running out of W10 free time here...

I have done a second backup of W7, and now probably will start to clean install 7 best I know how. Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0

Yep, no risks, I have 2 windows 7 backups and its product key,.... with install files.

Only risk is running out of W10 free time here...

I have done a second backup of W7, and now probably will start to clean install 7 best I know how. Thanks for the advice!

Oh yes, there are a number of risks - like hardware incompatibility, hardware failures, driver incompatibility, data loss, etc. This can happen even if the OEM states their system\ hardware is Windows 10 upgrade compatible.

You have 30 days to test Windows 10 for problems and downgrade to Windows 7. If the Windows 10 upgrade gets botched, it will make it such that you do not have downgrade rights back to Windows 7 even if you do have a valid Windows 7 key. It can happen if you are using an OEM or paid key because the OEM or paid key gets deliberately invalidated by MIcrosoft during the upgrade process. Microsoft does not want people migrating back to Windows 7, so they made it this way.

Research online the Windows 10 upgrade nightmares experienced by others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Oh yes, there are a number of risks - like hardware incompatibility, hardware failures, driver incompatibility, data loss, etc. This can happen even if the OEM states their system\ hardware is Windows 10 upgrade compatible.

You have 30 days to test Windows 10 for problems and downgrade to Windows 7. If the Windows 10 upgrade gets botched, it will make it such that you do not have downgrade rights back to Windows 7 even if you do have a valid Windows 7 key. It can happen if you are using an OEM or paid key because the OEM or paid key gets deliberately invalidated by MIcrosoft during the upgrade process. Microsoft does not want people migrating back to Windows 7, so they made it this way.

Research online the Windows 10 upgrade nightmares experienced by others.

Thanks, I did research ahead of time, and already free upgraded my laptop (went smooth as can be)... but rolled back to 7 because the CPU isnt up to W10 too much lag with antivirus and without, so decided to stay with 7 on it.

Now this Lenovo Desktop Tower has a lot of drivers pre-installed, so I hope it was just a conflict with em, and now I have no drivers just Network and the windows 7 updates.

WINDOWS 7, started clean install at 12 noon, now 90 PERCENT DONE 2 hours later.

I am using Framework 4.5/6 or whatnot is that ok? User mode driver... I assume so, because ... this is part of W7 updates, which was on other computer as well, I think I answered my question.

Never Antivirus during any updates, but I uninstall them if they are on there.... and never have USB stick in the drive

Now when its time to start the free upgrade "before jan 1st"? Will take about 3 hours to complete with 3.5 MPS speed,
After it completes, do I need to disable internet connection when Windows 10 is installing,OR.... like unplug the wire in the back of PC, till it installs? What about windows firewall, disable it?

USB Hubs disable??

Upvote 0

Thanks, I did research ahead of time, and already free upgraded my laptop (went smooth as can be)... but rolled back to 7 because the CPU isnt up to W10 too much lag with antivirus and without, so decided to stay with 7 on it.

Now this Lenovo Desktop Tower has a lot of drivers pre-installed, so I hope it was just a conflict with em, and now I have no drivers just Network and the windows 7 updates.

WINDOWS 7, started clean install at 12 noon, now 90 PERCENT DONE 2 hours later.

I am using Framework 4.5/6 or whatnot is that ok? User mode driver... I assume so, because ... this is part of W7 updates, which was on other computer as well, I think I answered my question.

Never Antivirus during any updates, but I uninstall them if they are on there.... and never have USB stick in the drive

Now when its time to start the free upgrade "before jan 1st"? Will take about 3 hours to complete with 3.5 MPS speed,
After it completes, do I need to disable internet connection when Windows 10 is installing,OR.... like unplug the wire in the back of PC, till it installs? What about windows firewall, disable it?

USB Hubs disable??

In your case where this is problems I just recommend clean install Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10. I would just install Ethernet\network driver and keyboard\touchpad driver if you need it - just what is required for you to install and activate Windows.

Disabling the network connection isn't going to make much of a difference. Just don't run Windows Updates immediately. Eventually Windows Updates is going to install new drivers.

There is no need to disable Windows Firewall.

You should be upgrading to Windows 10 using the Windows 10 Media on a flash usb drive made using the Media Creation Tool.

Reactions: JakeXPMan
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
You should be upgrading to Windows 10 using the Windows 10 Media on a flash usb drive made using the Media Creation Tool.

I can't, I need the key from the upgrade right? I dont have yet, I would need a new W10 Pro from the free upgrade page only right?

I plan to go back to 7 for a while... just hoping to use 10 with this nice PC beyond 2019... if I am around.

I created a W10 media creation tool on my bros Windows 10 pro 64 bit PC? Or any media creation works or is it assigned to a specific PC ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I can't, I need the key from the upgrade right? I dont have yet, I would need a new W0 Pro from the free upgrade page only right?

I plan to go back to 7 for a while... just hoping to use 10 with this nice PC beyond 2019... if I am around.

I created a W10 media creation tool on my bros Windows 10 pro 64 bit PC? Or any media creation works or is it assigned to a specific PC ?
I upgraded from win 7 to win 10 many months ago and never had to enter a key. The upgrade can take a long time in some cases but not 5 hours

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I upgraded from win 7 to win 10 many months ago and never had to enter a key. The upgrade can take a long time in some cases but not 5 hours

yeah but you have to download from the upgrade itself from microsoft website right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
what about the windows 10 creation tool that i already have made from my bros Windows 10 PC can i use that? No activation key needed ?

It depends on if you made it just for his pc. The directions say to select make DVD or USB for another pc. you will On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.

Reactions: JakeXPMan
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
It depends on if you made it just for his pc. The directions say to select make DVD or USB for another pc. you will On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.

I choosen to make for his, so I have to do a new one to be sure....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I choosen to make for his, so I have to do a new one to be sure....

But, the site says I need a vaild key to install 10... hows that work? This would be my first free windows 10 install with the Assist Tech...not sure where legit key will come in

You don't need a key. At least I don't think so.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
You don't need a key. At least I don't think so.

im 20 percent completed in making USB tool.

If I need a key I will have to mak a restore point, go back to 7, and try the other approach.

I can always do the free upragde from the page, and if it doesnt work i try the tool im making.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.