Advice Request Windows 8 Already Disappointing, Microsoft Blames PC Makers

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
CEO Steve Ballmer has already said that Microsoft sold 4 million Windows 8 upgrades in the first weekend after its debut, but it seems like sales of the new OS aren’t going exactly as expected.

Windows-8-Already-Disappointing-Microsoft-Blames-PC-Makers-2.png

Citing an insider, Paul Thurrott of Winsupersite.com writes that Windows 8 is already considered a disappointing product in the Redmond campus when it comes to sales.

Microsoft is yet to release any official sales figures, but executives have already released optimistic sales projections, hinting that the company expects to ship millions of copies before year-end.

What’s more interesting, however, is that Microsoft blames PC makers for Windows 8’s disappointing sales performance, claiming that end users don’t have enough choices to buy Windows 8 devices.

The number of computers, laptops and tablets running Windows 8 is still small at this point, but several companies have already confirmed their plans to release such products in the near future.

This is actually another reason for Microsoft’s intentions to continue efforts in the hardware industry. By developing its own PC and devices, Microsoft would only have to rely on its own products when launching new software, but would also hurt sales of many other players in the hardware sector.

In addition, these disappointing yet unknown sales figures also bring Steven Sinofsky back in the spotlight. It’s not yet clear whether Sinofsky has left the company because of the slow Windows 8 sales, but more and more signs are suggesting that this was actually one of the reasons for the upper management shift within Microsoft.

Of course, critics could mention many reasons for Windows 8’s failure to impress, including the major changes in the GUI and the other often-considered “confusing” elements, but it remains to be seen what the impact of all these changes is over the average end user.

Microsoft is yet to comment on the matter, but we’ve contacted the Redmondians, so we’ll get back to you when we receive an answer.

Source

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
I really liked Windows 8 when I tried it out. Low sales are because of FUD imho.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
I think in my opinion, that Windows 8 is awesome! It is quick! Better Protection! My connection is stronger!
ect........:heart:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
with some tweaking I like it but right now I am still using windows 7.I have 7 & 8 on a dual boot so in some free time I am getting accustomed to it.I agree that the security is stronger and it is faster but seems like this was geared more for touch screens.However with some tweaks and 3rd party programs you can bring back some of the features lost from win 7

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
I not surprised by any of this I was talking to a tech at my local pc store
since Windows 8 now comes on most new pc's here been busy
he has done 75 formats and installs replacing windows 8 with win 7
a lot of people here buy new pc that come with windows 8 on them but don't seem to like it

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
InternetChicken said:
a lot of people here buy new pc that come with windows 8 on them but don't seem to like it

Due to the fact that they have to get used to the Metro tiles.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I am Linux bound for sure.

I am tired of the kindergarten kiddie, Fischer Price look. That is supposed to be for Apple.

Dear Microsoft,

If you want to be like Apple, start suing everyone and don't invent anything. Don't do it by copying their shiny happy people theme.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What about Surface sales, I heard those got sold out?

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
ZOU did you know mac was based an UNIX? Of course you will. Seriously even Unity has the fischer price look. But any day compiz and beryl can beat Aero in terms of effects.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
McLovin said:
InternetChicken said:

Due to the fact that they have to get used to the Metro tiles.

I agree,when you have used an OS for years it is difficult to switch to something new.It takes some time getting used to.It was the same when Vista came out.I myself was using XP well into the release of windows 7 but I wouldnt go back to it.In windows 8 you can bypass the tiles right to your desktop and the old start menus can be applied using 3rd party software.I have windows 7 & 8 on a dual boot which is the same as I did with XP & Windows 7.This way you can get accustomed to windows 8 and still use windows 7 until you feel comfortable making the transition

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
one of the factors for the replacements is gaming some games just run better on windows 7
also some older people who can use win 7 seam to have issues adjusting to windows 8

IceHunter313

Nov 24, 2012
I'm not surprised. I tried Win8 and it's pretty bad...but for people who like mobile operating systems, its a good choice. But for me as a gamer and programmer its too slow and generally uninteresting^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.