Advice Request Windows 8 Metro UI Start Menu and New Start Screen UI Revealed

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The latest 'Building Windows 8' video shared with the public appears to reveal a completely overhauled Start Menu UI, and also unveils a new flavor of the Start Screen UI that was first demoed in early June 2011.

As the Windows 8 development process moves forward, Microsoft offers more and more glimpses of not just the platform’s under-the-hood evolution, but also of the next generation look and feel of the operating system.

The software giant already made it clear that it will be adapting concepts such as Metro UI and Ribbon / Fluent UI for the next major iteration of Windows.

In the first public demonstration of Windows 8 the company showcased the new Metro-based Start Screen, an alternative to the traditional Windows interface when the OS runs on touch-enabled next generation devices, but not only.

Read More

Video

Last edited by a moderator:

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Screenshots I got from a friend:

http://i.imgur.com/kGULd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8DPtu.png

It's basically divided into a tablet UI and a normal desktop.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I think it would be really good on a tablet.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I really like the new Start Screen UI, something you can say its a new. While XP/Vista/7 Start screen are relatively simple.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Here are some screenshots of what it looks like :D

picture1eiy.png

picture2emp.png

picture7fj.png

Love the new task manager :)
picture3jz.png

picture4hx.png

picture5dj.png

picture6gz.png

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Nice pics, Microsoft has worked mostly on the Metro UI. It seems that the task bar for Windows 8 will be black right , just like the Windows Start Button...

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Jack said:
Nice pics, Microsoft has worked mostly on the Metro UI. It seems that the task bar for Windows 8 will be black right , just like the Windows Start Button...

Don't know about the whole taskbar but the start button is black.
Alt+F4 does not work anymore

Jon DeVaan

The idea is Metro Style apps are not closed. The system takes care of keeping the apps from consuming background resources automatically. You can examine the app lifetime information in the developer documentation if you'd like.

Thanks very much to everyone here for the good feedback.

Alt+F4 only works in the dev tools integrated builds as a developer feature and is not a general mechanism. Again thanks for the feedback.

Link

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Nice :D, I don't know what I will say but its really a refreshing OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.