Advice Request Windows 8 safe mode

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The one complaint that I had with Windows 8 is that with the introduction of the new boot loader that decreased the speed that the OS starts it can be very difficult to get into safe mode if Windows does not start normally. Needing to use the shift+F8 combo in such a small window of time borders on the absurd.

Good thing is that one can go back to the former method (just the F8 key) pretty easily: at an elevated command prompt (which will get you to the C:\Windows\System32> prompt) copy and paste this:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

and if you decide to go back to torturing yourself,

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

to reverse the change.

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
If this works, thanks ! I hate not having a safemode menu in 8, especially for overclocking

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
I added the entry when I originally posted earlier, and would you believe it, tonight I needed safemode big time, BSODs every time I logged on due to coretemp

Thanks to OP for the info, you saved me a long battle with windows 8 tonight ;)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Please note if you have more then one Windows OS installed with dual boot (Windows 7 & Windows 8), do not change this setting. You may loose the ability to boot into one of Windows OS. Another problem is if you have an OEM version of Windows activated, it might make your OEM Windows not genuine requiring you to activate again.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Other option is to provide bootable recovery USB or CD/DVD to obtain safe process.

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I successfully installed Windows 8 and my pc started to work with two operating systems: the 7 and 8.
The start of the 8 is much faster than the 7 and graphic resolution is much better than the 7.
They told me to NEVER change the Antivirus ie keep the MSE / Windows Defender!

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
I found out that pressing F8 only ONCE at POST gives the new safemode screen without any hacks

Pressing it a few times like you can with Win 7 doesn't work, I think hence the confusion

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Detection said:
I found out that pressing F8 only ONCE at POST gives the new safemode screen without any hacks

Pressing it a few times like you can with Win 7 doesn't work, I think hence the confusion

Careful use Windows 8. Not excited because it goes wrong will format the hard drive.
A few weeks ago I tried to install another antivirus and the only solution I found was reinstall Win 7 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.