Advice Request Windows 8 Users Click on a Third-Party Start Menu 10 Times per Day

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The lack of a Start Menu in Windows 8 is deemed as one of the biggest drawbacks of Microsoft’s new operating system and data released by a third-party Start Menu developer does nothing more than to confirm this.

Windows-8-Users-Click-on-a-Third-Party-Start-Menu-10-Times-per-Day-2.png

SweetLabs’ Pokki for Windows 8 is one of the software solutions that can bring a Start Menu in the latest Windows iteration, along with some tweaks that could lend users a hand when trying to make the OS a bit more familiar.

According to data released by SweetLabs, the app has recorded more than 500,000 downloads, as more and more users feel the need for a Start Menu on their Windows 8 device.

Statistics indicated that an average Pokki user clicks the third-party Start Menu approximately 10 times per day. In addition, people use the Start Menu more often than they load webpages and go the restroom every day, SweetLabs said.

63 percent of the users turn to a third-party Start Menu for shortcuts, while 62 percent need it for power options. Only 29 percent of the consumers have installed Pokki to quickly access the installed apps.

As for the Windows 8 Start Screen, a shocking 85 percent of the users install the third-party Start Menu solution to completely disable it. 27 percent of the users want to disable the left hot corner, while 11 percent wish to turn off absolutely all hot corners.

In case he decides to continue using the Start Screen, the average user creates only 19 tiles, the company continued.

This is obviously bad news for Microsoft, as Windows boss Julie Larson-Green recently said in an interview that getting used to the Start Screen is just a matter of time. She said that users could need up to two weeks to discover the benefits of the new operating system, even though some more experienced users could do it in just 2 days.

Source

D

Deleted member 178

How lazy people follow the sheep pack, they don't even try to learn how Start Screen works... in 1 day i learnt it and i will not install a fluffy 3rd party apps that will add a useless process on my system.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Have not tried it to it's full extent yet, but when I do I would like to learn everything apart from that first.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Its actually highly powerfull. Start screen is great no need of third party things.
What pokki does on a small screen, Strart screen does on a full screen.
If you see closely I think desktop has been made to act as an app of the start screen. A full featured start screen app.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
Well more than 10 times a day for me :D LOL I like to keep my desktop and Metro ( I will still call it metro!) Interface apart. thankyou very much!

I use Start8 by stardock as my start menu replacement.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"Statistics indicated that an average Pokki user clicks the third-party Start Menu approximately 10 times per day."

Because it's there and installed! Otherwise would be zero clicks.

These Stats prove nothing, but usage of their software. Nothing more. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Earth said:
"Statistics indicated that an average Pokki user clicks the third-party Start Menu approximately 10 times per day."

Because it's there and installed! Otherwise would be zero clicks.

These Stats prove nothing, but usage of their software. Nothing more. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I agree.I missed the start menu at first and I have tried some 3rd party apps but somehow they werent the same except for Stardocks which is a paid start menu app.Now that i have become accustomed to windows 8 I dont really miss it.
If you Right click Admin Menu where the Start Metro is on the desktop (Bottom Left Corner of Screen in Desktop Mode) this is what you get

75935.png

Pretty much closes the door on the start menu issue for me.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I have seen 3rd party start menus are sluggish and the start screen does the job in a better way. Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

White Nobster said:
If you Right click Admin Menu where the Start Metro is on the desktop (Bottom Left Corner of Screen in Desktop Mode) this is what you get

75935.png

Pretty much closes the door on the start menu issue for me.

press "windows" key + X ; it will be faster ;)

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
malbky said:
I have seen 3rd party start menus are sluggish and the start screen does the job in a better way. Thanks

not sure which apps you tried,but the only one i tried and bought was Start8, its given me no problems whatsoever.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
arsenaloyal, What do you not like about the Start Screen and why did you switch to Windows 8?

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
the most annoying thing about the start screen was the mouse over to reveal the start screen and most of the time i used to end-up clicking on IE instead of actual start screen. this is a PC used by my dad as well,so if I found it difficult to use with the mouse then he would as well. I personally dont find anything wrong with startscreen,but you have to be adept at using keyboard shortcuts to fully utilize startscreen which most members on my family PC are not.

The primary reason was the price, at $40 it was at a throwaway price and i had my old xp license lying around.
but I have actually found Windows 8 to be more stable that any of the previous M$ OS'es and thats saying something.Boot times and response times have improved as well.
I fail to understand all the negativity surrounding Windows 8, I feel most of them have not tried to use it or refuse to give it a chance.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
i don't like startscreen and i've tried it since the first day rtm was leaked didn't like it so first i tried classic shell later,start8 and now i'm using startisback so far so good whatever you like i respect your opinion but i'm so used to my startmenu so its a no for my desktop without it :)

Emy12

Level 1
Dec 22, 2011
I have not installed any third-party start menu yet, but, yes, I missing it. Whenever I need to open a program, for instance, Notepad, I use Search to get it.
It was easier with clasic Start Menu.

Nomad

Verified
Jan 31, 2013
Metro is phenomenal if you take the time to learn it. I used Linux for a long time, and Windows 8 won me over.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think there are some misconception on the way that Start Menu is already removed caused they felt what would happened for Windows 8 without that feature.

+ even the Start Screen is there, they didn't even bothered how it works caused of familiarize long time feature before.

And also on the keyboard an one step click on Windows Icon will show the metro style interface and easy way to show the files/programs there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.