Advice Request Windows 8 vs. Windows 7 SP1 Memory Usage Comparison

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Microsoft introduced a range of optimizations designed to minimize OS memory use in Windows 8, hundreds of modifications, making it possible for the platform to run on just 64MB of RAM.

As a result of the work put in by the Windows fundamentals team, the next iteration of Windows already does a better job at leveraging system memory compared to its predecessor.

The software giant launched Windows Developer Preview, a Milestone 3 Build of Windows 8, at BUILD in mid-September 2011, and early adopters can download and test the release themselves and get a taste of the memory usage improvements.

read more

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
So, I guess. In windows 8, we don't need large ram.
just use what we use for windows 7 at the moment.
and, can be dual boot with windows 7 also.
:dodgy:

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
But still, Power users still needs more RAM to comply with their heavy gaming and multitasking so 2 GB of RAM is still not enough and I think that there's no reason to Dual-Boot with Windows 7 since that doesn't make sense because Windows 8 is much more improved, Why use an old OS when you've got a new OS to use?

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
just use what we use for windows 7 at the moment.
read it, boxx. alot peoples or computer users have more than 4GB or at least 4GB.
a lot of their are gaming people. or, their just have 3GB for video editing or such as like photoshop with more better (NOT lag).
it's good enough for 3GB in windows 8.
since windows 8 just use 280MB or maybe 320MB . if have 3GB, it just use less than 15% RAM.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
I think that there's no reason to Dual-Boot with Windows 7 since that doesn't make sense because Windows 8 is much more improved, Why use an old OS when you've got a new OS to use?

i said is "it can be"
so, not should users to dual-booted windows 8 with windows 7.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
3 GB is still lacking, 4 GB is always the optimal amount of RAM to use if you're gonna go heavy gaming and multitasking, Programs doesn't have a fixed RAM usage so why use 3 GB of RAM? "It can" Dual Boot with Windows 7? For what reason? To have another partition eating your disk space? That doesn't make sense and I bet that nobody smart enough will do that.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
No BoXX.
their just have 3GB for video editing or such as like photoshop with more better (NOT lag).

you know, such as camtasia studio while render a video.
it use about this:
HghL2.png

and, photoshop this:
EuvEz.png

so, if you have 3GB and windows 7 SP1 use just 400MB and plus (if you open camtasia) it will be 700-750MB, not lag. you still have 2.2GB
and, about photoshop with almost 1GB + windows 7 normally RAM usage just 400MB just probably 1.5GB , ram usage is still 50%.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
BoXX28 said:
3 GB is still lacking, 4 GB is always the optimal amount of RAM to use if you're gonna go heavy gaming and multitasking, Programs doesn't have a fixed RAM usage so why use 3 GB of RAM? "It can" Dual Boot with Windows 7? For what reason? To have another partition eating your disk space? That doesn't make sense and I bet that nobody smart enough will do that.

many people at the moment have external hard disk, and store all documents, photos, musics on there or if people want using cloud storage it will be get more storage in internal hard disk.
and, at the moment. even laptop hard disk minimal is 320GB (but, it very few) , average now is 500GB. save windows 7 just at least 20GB - 25GB. for windows 8 just 25GB also. total just 50GB, boxx. still have alot spaces.

and, about ram. didn't you read the articel?
their use windows 8 with 128MB ram! that's good.
I played around with Windows 8 Developer Preview Build 8102 M3 recently and found that the platform becomes usable on machines with as little as 128 MB of RAM, and can still run even if the amount of memory is reduced to 64MB.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
How about with Virtualization Software, Browsers, Security Software scanning in the background while gaming at the same time, Do you think 3 GB of RAM can handle that? IT CAN'T. And by the way, Of course Windows 8 will run in 128 MB of RAM because they're not doing Multitasking and using programs that intensively uses resources. Even if lots of people now owns ExHDDs, It still doesn't make sense to have Windows 7 when you already have Windows 8.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
NOT all people using Virtualization Software
you must know it ,boxx.
security software scanning in the background just using MAX is 100MB - 150MB
and, i'm not said 3Gb for gaming. read at above again boxx.
this:
or, their just have 3GB for video editing or such as like photoshop with more better (NOT lag).
thanks.

if someone still love windows 7? when few software (i MEAN is NOT all software) can't run stable at windows 8. who's know?
we don't know about stable or not.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
BoXX28 said:
How about with Virtualization Software, Browsers, Security Software scanning in the background while gaming at the same time, Do you think 3 GB of RAM can handle that? IT CAN'T.

BoXX, that's a little too extreme. :sleepy:

As for dual-booting Windows 7 and Windows 8, it would be rather pointless. You're better off (imo) running Windows 7 in a VM.

I'm running Windows 7 on once what was a Windows Vista laptop, so I can run Windows 8 without any problems.

As long as it meets the minimum requirements you shouldn't have a problem.

Microsoft has kept its promise that Windows 8 won’t require any more hardware than Windows 7. So Windows 8 Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
  • Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
Source

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Of course I know that not all people uses Virtualization Software, Don't act like the wise sage. :p
3 GB of RAM is still not enough for Video and Graphic Editing software, No reason to keep Windows 7 because all Software developers will eventually develop new versions of their software that's fully compatible with Windows 8.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
BoXX28 said:
3 GB of RAM is still not enough for Video and Graphic Editing software.

Can you show us an example, as I am failing to see how 3GB would not be enough?

BoXX28 said:
No reason to keep Windows 7 because all Software developers will eventually develop new versions of their software that's fully compatible with Windows 8.

Good point, considering there are no longer any Windows XP users, since the release of Windows Vista/7. /s :p

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I can't provide any concrete examples but think of it this way, The user runs Firefox which could possibly run under 400,000 K of RAM while running Graphics and Video Editing software at the same time. Do you think the PC will still be as responsive compared to an idle system?

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
No reason to keep Windows 7 because all Software developers will eventually develop new versions of their software that's fully compatible with Windows 8.

you must know the fact at the moment ,boxx.
such as, james still keep windows XP.
very few or, probably lot people will still keep windows 7 in the future.
we don't know about it.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Yes there will still be lots of people that's gonna stick to what they have but the amount of people that's gonna upgrade is much more than the people that's gonna use Old Operating Systems, So Software Developers are gonna develop new versions of their software to comply with Windows 8.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
BoXX28 said:
I can't provide any concrete examples but think of it this way, The user runs Firefox which could possibly run under 400,000 K of RAM while running Graphics and Video Editing software at the same time. Do you think the PC will still be as responsive compared to an idle system?

this firefox usage on 64bit system. and open 4 tabs.
with firefox 7.0.1
lVSPq.png

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
BoXX28 said:
Yes there will still be lots of people that's gonna stick to what they have but the amount of people that's gonna upgrade is much more than the people that's gonna use Old Operating Systems, So Software Developers are gonna develop new versions of their software to comply with Windows 8.

so, that's why. people will use windows 7 also. and then dual-booted with windows 8.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Of course that's with the new versions but most people forgets about updating their software so their still using the old versions. And even though I'm using the new version, My Firefox currently runs at 350,000 K of RAM with 6 tabs open. People will think over that why should they keep Windows 7 when most of their software are already compatible with Windows 8?

P.S: We're getting nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.