Troubleshoot Windows 8 won't boot, stuck on logo screen

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
The same just happen to me on my H.P. Pavilion on 08/03/2013 I re-install from everything the beginning.
Clean install and updates,so on! It had taken me 5 1/2 hours to do. Now Monday around 11.25 A.M. power
when out and the same-thing.
As suffer a power-cut, my Windows cant finish the boot afterwards; it is stucked at the logo and the circle keep turning. Call H.P. to ask them to look at my PC senting the PC back to the Manufacturer. And letting if they can what problem is on Windows 8 Pro X64 Bits O.S. H.P. suggested a system recovery, which I already completed. I told them that I am NOT going to complete system recovery in which had taken me 5 1/2 hours to
do. Going back to H.P.

Any suggestions?

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
RE: Weird Boot Issue

Moose said:
Any suggestions?

For now: I would prefer to do a recovery rather than ship the PC to HP.

For the future: You got to get yourself a battery for the PC. I live in a country where power goes out anytime all the time, batteries are like life savers for the PC. Get one, Moose.

Bo

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

That's a very long time. Did you recover the OS from the Factory Recovery Partition or 'Reset' in Windows 8?

Moose said:
The same just happen to me on my H.P. Pavilion on 08/03/2013 I re-install from everything the beginning.
Clean install and updates,so on! It had taken me 5 1/2 hours to do. Now Monday around 11.25 A.M. power when out and the same-thing.

Upvote 0

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

Earth,
> Install Windows 7 Home which that what came with the PC (Factory Recovery Partition)
> Install Windows updates for getting it ready for Windows 8
> Install Windows 8 Pro X64 O.S. (Windows 8 CD)
> Install Windows 8 updates
> Install my image from external drive
> Check for update's for security software
> Put extensions back on browser.

Tried to boot from Windows 8 CD last night.
Can not get it to boot from CD!

bo.elam what battery would suggest? I have 4 PC's
And how to you connect the battery as a backup so
when the power go off?

Thank you! Earth & bo.elam for your info!

Hopefully & I figure out a fix for this headache!

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've split the thread, to make it easier to follow.

I think you have wasted a lot of time from messing around with the Windows 7 installation, when you didn't need too.

In Windows 8, I believe you can re-write over the existing Recovery Partition.
More info: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

zauv0Io.png

Upvote 0

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Moose said:
bo.elam what battery would suggest? I have 4 PC's
And how to you connect the battery as a backup so
when the power go off?

You need to get a UPS (Uninterruptible power supply). The UPS uses a battery about the size of a motorcycle battery. For me, the battery itself last for about 3 or four years before the need to replace it. There are different sizes and the more expensive, the more protection you get.

My UPS cost me about US$100.00 when I purchased it. Some UPS are designed to last hours, other only a few minutes. Usually, if electricity goes out, I just save whatever I am doing and turn off the computer. Mine is small and I have it on the floor. I connect the electrical cable of the CPU and monitor to the UPS and the UPS is connected to the wall.

In one occasion when I was running a check disk, there was a power outage, electricity was out for about half an hour and before the CD was finish electricity came back on. I think my computer probably would have been damaged if I had not been using a UPS. To me, they really are computer savers. Obviously, you only need them for desktop computers.

Bo

Upvote 0

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
When I get the Windows 7 back on the PC. So,that I can boot how do I
get to part where you are showing the screen shot? Then I will follow your
link?

Upvote 0

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Moose, the picture posted by Earth is for W8. In W7, clicking on F11 immediately after rebooting will get you to the recovery manager. Afterward, follow the instructions and choose to recover to factory installation. Both of my computers are HP, doing a recovery only takes about 20 minutes.

By the way, if I was you, I would keep W7. Learning W8 is easy but I think W7 is a lot more comfortable to use.

Bo

Upvote 0

Fabiannnn

Dec 29, 2014
Hello, sorry for reviving this old topic.

I just wanted to let you all know how to solve this problem, as I've been looking on the internet for a long period when I had this problem going on and couldn't find the correct solution. I tried a lot with my computer, and I finally found what is causing this problem.

If you're stuck on the logo, and it tries to boot for 5-10 minutes and then crashes into a short blue screen, then restarts into repair but it won't repair (black screen).. This is what you'll have to do:

This is a solution that does not involve completely wiping Windows hence losing all your files, nor reinstalling everything .

You need 2 computers for this:

- Unplug your hard drive from the computer that has this problem, then plug it into the secondary computer.
- From the secondary computer, enter the hard drive that you recently plugged in. Now locate the Windows folder, then open it.
- Sort the files by last modified
- You'll now see that ''bootstat.dat'' was edited last.
- Remove this file
- Plug your the hard drive back into the computer that had the problem
- Start the computer, you'll notice that it starts repairing the hard drive
- The computer now works again and you didn't lose a single file.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.