Solved Windows Corrupt? IE11 and Control panel items don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandra Olsen

Thread author
Jun 1, 2014
I have been having issues with my windows 7 (64-bit) laptop for a few weeks. It seems the problems began when I downloaded Open Office and accidentally acquired a new toolbar. Removed that, but other problems have cropped up.

Most notable problems: Various control panel functions don't work, such as uninstall programs and turning on and off the firewall. Also, the IE11 browser will open and promptly shuts down. I've tried to download a new version, but I get a message that I already have a newer version installed. I've used Glary Utilities Pro to attempt to uninstall my current version of IE11, but it doesn't appear in the list of programs.

I have run various anti-malware programs: MalwareBytes, Malware Bytes Chameleon, Super Anti-Spyware, Windows Defender, and nothing comes up in the results. Today I ran a scan with ADW Cleaner and it found a couple of items (ie Flash Player Pro).

I'm not sure where to go from here but would appreciate some input. Thanks!

wajiman

Level 5
Verified
Jul 18, 2013
1. install some Anti-virus program, or perform scan using eset online scanner or bitdefender free online scanner

after that:

2.Run CMD as administrator and enter:
Code:
sfc /scannow

4.If it finds windows files integrity is compromised.

5.enter the following commands:
Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

This command will then download damaged windows files from windows update and fix your windows.

NOTE: You can copy paste the above commands

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The official OpenOffice doesn't include any toolbars or other adware, so you must have downloaded a fake version or adware wrapper version from a download site. Do you remember which website you downloaded it from? that may be help to determine what kind of adware or other malware was included.

I suggest doing a System Restore to a point before you downloaded OpenOffice installer.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I have been having issues with my windows 7 (64-bit) laptop for a few weeks. It seems the problems began when I downloaded Open Office and accidentally acquired a new toolbar. Removed that, but other problems have cropped up.

Most notable problems: Various control panel functions don't work, such as uninstall programs and turning on and off the firewall. Also, the IE11 browser will open and promptly shuts down. I've tried to download a new version, but I get a message that I already have a newer version installed. I've used Glary Utilities Pro to attempt to uninstall my current version of IE11, but it doesn't appear in the list of programs.

I have run various anti-malware programs: MalwareBytes, Malware Bytes Chameleon, Super Anti-Spyware, Windows Defender, and nothing comes up in the results. Today I ran a scan with ADW Cleaner and it found a couple of items (ie Flash Player Pro).

I'm not sure where to go from here but would appreciate some input. Thanks!
If System Restore doesn't work, you can try to use Windows Repair (All In One) toolkit, this utility has some good fixes. Make sure you create a restore point before starting the repair:
Download link: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Upvote 0

Sandra Olsen

Thread author
Jun 1, 2014
I have Webroot as my AV software. It has never found anything :-| Because I have an active AV program, isn't it unwise to run another program? Or should I disable Webroot and try the Eset scanner?

I tried system restore and I could only attempt to restore to a couple days earlier.

It sounds like my possible plan of action is to maybe do an online scan, followed by Windows Repair (after creating a restore point).

Upvote 0

wajiman

Level 5
Verified
Jul 18, 2013
I have Webroot as my AV software. It has never found anything :-| Because I have an active AV program, isn't it unwise to run another program? Or should I disable Webroot and try the Eset scanner?

I tried system restore and I could only attempt to restore to a couple days earlier.

It sounds like my possible plan of action is to maybe do an online scan, followed by Windows Repair (after creating a restore point).

i dont suppose disabling webroot may be necessary. but it is better to do it. disable and scan using eset and then see

Reactions: Sandra Olsen
Upvote 0

Sandra Olsen

Thread author
Jun 1, 2014
If System Restore doesn't work, you can try to use Windows Repair (All In One) toolkit, this utility has some good fixes. Make sure you create a restore point before starting the repair:
Download link: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

This worked! IE11 loads properly and everything I have checked in the control panel seems to be working. Also checked Windows Media Center and it appears to be working again also. Thank you SOOO much.

I also decided to run ESET and it has found a couple of threats. Before starting, I disabled Webroot and I hope it doesn't cause any conflicts, but now that I think of it, I downloaded the 30-day trial rather than the online scan. Oops.

Reactions: Jack and wajiman
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.