Hot Take Windows Defender and their "Biased" detections.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
So , i tested in a VM this tool W10Privacy - Privacy made easy its known , safe ( as for its no malware but please be aware you COULD break stuff )

Windows defender recognized this as Malware ( not as pup or anything straight malware ) so i uploaded this to WD as false positive after roughly 1 week~ ( man they take a while... avast takes like 2-4 hours)

they plain said its malware

even virustotal says its clean VirusTotal including Microsofts Defender there.

my guess is , because its a privacy tool they mark it as malicious.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It's possible Windows Defender flagged it due to the nature of the tool, which modifies system settings. This doesn't necessarily mean it's malicious, but it can potentially harm your system if used incorrectly. It's always recommended to use such tools with caution.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
This topic was discussed in depth in the forum recently but I couldn't find it, this touches on it.

Reactions: Dave Russo

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Do we know what it's features are? Some of these programs the ability to disable security features.
i mean it could if you use it specially for it , but this isnt "malware" this is at best a "PUP" or "tool" detection , malware is kinda automatic and against the will of the user.

If any tool that "could" do things with the agreement and intended use ( your pressing the functionality and want to use said functionality ) of the user is now categorized as malware... man then 99% of programs are malware now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.