Advice Request Windows Defender extension?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
It is clean, the problem is that Norton/Symantec is a piece of garbage that relies nowdays almost entirely on cloud detection and reputation, so it isnt a surprise to see it detecting harmless files (because of low prevalence), it is a False Positive galore.

I fully agree with Firecat (a wilders security forum member) about Symantec:

AV-Comparatives: Malware Protection Test - March 2018

Comparative Malware Protection Assessment

Nightwalker, with all due respect, I think you are a little over-the-top on this.

First, Firecat has a bug in his ass about Symantec, and has for at least a decade. Maybe a Symantec dude took his girlfriend or something... It must really bother him that Symantec is a perpetual top finisher in testing for the last decade. Symantec only has a couple of peers in test results, Kasperski, Bitdefender, and sometimes Trend. The rest come and go. And this has been for a solid decade and continues in 2018.

If Symantec is such a "piece of garbage" -- why does it keep doing so well in tests?

Why did it get the **AV-TEST Best Protection 2017 Award?

These are the most recent tests.... all 2018 that I'm aware of. Not leaving any out (that I'm aware of).

*AV-Test "Top Product" -- tied for #1 for Protection. Feb 18

*SE Labs test, 3rd of 13 -- Mar 18

*AV-C Real World Test. Tied with other products for 1st in protection with 0% Compromised. April 18

*MRG, COMPARATIVE MALWARE PROTECTION ASSESSMENT, 2018, Finished in 2nd

*MRG Exploit Test, Finished 2nd of 9, May 18

*PC World, #1. Jan 18

*PCMag.com, Tied for #1, 2018

*Techradar.com, #2 Best AV of 2018, Published 4 days ago..

*Computerbild.de, The Great Antivirus Test: Security Suites 2018 Compared. Tied for 2nd.

This isn't some fanboy scrape of good results. These are ALL the 2018 results I've seen.

Look forward to you and/or Firecat showing with any actual information that Norton is a "piece of garbage."

This is a good basis for a thread in the Norton forum..

-Burrito

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

It is clean, the problem is that Norton/Symantec is a piece of garbage that relies nowdays almost entirely on cloud detection and reputation, so it isnt a surprise to see it detecting harmless files (because of low prevalence), it is a False Positive galore.

I fully agree with Firecat (a wilders security forum member) about Symantec:

AV-Comparatives: Malware Protection Test - March 2018

Comparative Malware Protection Assessment
Hmm, with SEPC installed AndyFul/ConfigureDefender is easy accesible. File insight flagging only "configuredefender_x32.exe", x64 is running fine, but where's the problem if you can easily exclude it until Symantec sorts out FP? Wait time to process the request? You should've see Trend Micro's response time about FP's..
Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Lets stay on topic question, it has nothing to do with Symantec. ;):giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.