Battle Windows Defender + Hard Configurator + ???

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I asked the question the way i did it because i wanted to know, EXACTLY, what is inactivated and still activated. You say, ALL, real-time, but there exists only one. The rest of the protections has other names. So, i ask again, what is inactivate and activated when installing a 3:rd parti Av.
@shmu26 answered correctly to your question.
No WD real-time = No ConfigureDefender (except SmartScreen policies and hiding Security Center)
No Windows Firewall = No FirewallHardening
(y)

Last edited:

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
@shmu26 answered correctly to your question.
No WD real-time = No ConfigureDefender (except SmartScreen policies and hiding Security Center)
No Windows Firewall = No FirewallHardening
(y)

To be honest, i just posted my question in this thread just to get your attention because i think you know the full answer. And an EXACT answer seems hard to find about this.

I know that real-time is shut of but, the protection in Windows is more then just the real-time, there is tamper, anti-exploit, memory protection etc. The answer i am looking for is the answer that tells, EXACTLY, what is on and not, after installing a 3:rd parti Av so i can know, what protection is active on my Pc in total. The sum of it. WD`s other protections that is then, complementing the, for instance Qihoo 360 Av?

Sorry for grabbing your interest, but i think you know the full answer, as i said.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
To be honest, i just posted my question in this thread just to get your attention because i think you know the full answer. And an EXACT answer seems hard to find about this.

I know that real-time is shut of but, the protection in Windows is more then just the real-time, there is tamper, anti-exploit, memory protection etc. The answer i am looking for is the answer that tells, EXACTLY, what is on and not, after installing a 3:rd parti Av so i can know, what protection is active on my Pc in total. The sum of it. WD`s other protections that is then, complementing the, for instance Qihoo 360 Av?

Sorry for grabbing your interest, but i think you know the full answer, as i said.
Those other things you mentioned -- tamper protection, memory protection, anti-exploit -- they aren't part of Windows Defender. But they are part of Windows. So I think you are really asking like this: what other protections does Windows offer, even when Defender is disabled?
As you said, Andy is the best source for an exact answer to your question.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Those other things you mentioned -- tamper protection, memory protection, anti-exploit -- they aren't part of Windows Defender. But they are part of Windows. So I think you are really asking like this: what other protections does Windows offer, even when Defender is disabled?
As you said, Andy is the best source for an exact answer to your question.

Is it so, well that may explain why i have not got the answer i wanted when asking before. Then you are right, that is the question i am asking.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Understand. You can ask me by simply sending PM.:)
If you have installed another security that is recognized by Windows as the AV, then the below security features still works:
  1. Microsoft Defender offline scan.
  2. Windows Firewall.
  3. SmartScreen Application Reputation.
  4. Microsoft Defender Application Guard (for Edge).
  5. Exploit Protection.
  6. Core Isolation.
  7. Windows Sandbox.
Edit
Of course, also SRP (used in the H_C settings) will work too.
If AV has got its own firewall, then Windows Firewall will be mostly disabled.

Last edited:

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Understand. You can ask me by simply sending PM.:)
If you have installed another security that is recognized by Windows as the AV, then the below security features still works:
  1. Microsoft Defender offline scan.
  2. Windows Firewall.
  3. SmartScreen Application Reputation.
  4. Microsoft Defender Application Guard (for Edge).
  5. Exploit Protection.
  6. Core Isolation.
  7. Windows Sandbox.
Ok.
Thank you kindly - sir.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Ok.
Thank you kindly - sir.
You're welcome. :)

The differences in Microsoft Defender functioning (before and after installing KIS):

MD properties-----------------------MD as full AV --------------------------KIS as full AV
AMRunningMode......................Normal........................................Passive
BehaviorMonitorEnabled..........True.............................................False
IoavProtectionEnabled.............True.............................................False
NISEnabled................................True............................................False
OnAccessProtectionEnabled...True.............................................False
RealTimeProtectionEnabled....True.............................................False

Other parameters for example AMServiceEnabled, AntispywareEnabled, AntivirusEnabled, IsTamperProtected do not change (work in Passive Mode). KIS also disables Windows Firewall.

The meaning of the properties can be found here:
MSFT\_MpComputerStatus class | Microsoft Docs

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.