Windows Defender - On-Demand Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
As i am using Comodo Internet Security v6(RealTime). Can i use Windows Defender as On-Demand Scanner. So that Only for Scanning (Not in Realtime).

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Windows Defender

Is this for Windows 8, or Windows 7? because if it was for Windows 7 it's a joke, but for Windows 8 I would drop CIS for MSE, because you can't have too running at the same time. Yes you said an On-Demand scanner, but that is what MBAM and Hitman Pro are for.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

I am asking for Windows 8. If it can't than no problem.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

MrExplorer said:
I am asking for Windows 8. If it can't than no problem.

Ahh. I didn't say it can't but I would not recommend it, only for the reason as you already have MBAM and Hitman Pro for that job.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Yes i have but just for knowledge purpose i am asking this Question.
& Thanks for Signature (McLovin)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Yes it is possible. Most third-party real-time security products should disable Windows Defender when you install them. However you can manually enable Windows Defender by typing name in search and starting it.

Might want to temporary disable Comodo's AV real time first.

It should notify you that it has been disabled, and allow to to enable it again. Once it starts up go to settings - real time protection and disable it.

If you choose to use its real time protection make sure to disable Comodo AV's real time protection.

Thanks.:D

Z

ZeroDay

It is possible yes, but I personally think there's better choices for on demand scanners.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
ZeroDay said:
It is possible yes, but I personally think there's better choices for on demand scanners.

Yes, There are more better choices but there might be some viruses which can't be detected by other but can be detected by Windows Defender.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
MrExplorer said:
ZeroDay said:

Yes, There are more better choices but there might be some viruses which can't be detected by other but can be detected by Windows Defender.

Really,
can you send such samples

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
A little secrete that third-party security products don't want you to know.

If you always only download files from trusted sources and don't visit unknown sites, click on links, etc. Windows Defender should be able to fully protect you. Microsoft Protection Center has one of the largest malware databases and only focuses on the most common widespread and active infections instead of missing with old malware and malware that is so rare that you probably never encounter it.

Thanks.:D

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
I have been running windows defender as a on demand scanner,you have to manually enable it and then update the database and run it as an on demand scanner on one of my PC's,there are no problems with it.
Windows defender/security essentials has always be above par at finding and removal of rootkits.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Ok, i think arsenaloyal would be having any other method. so i asked him.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
Either what Littlebits said or you will have to enable it manually from services because I have disabled all real-time scanners including Windows Defender itself!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you have Unchecked 'Turn on Windows Defender' from the Windows Defender > Settings > Administrator (& Saved changes), then you can only turn Windows Defender on from the Action Center (Turn On).

You can Uncheck 'Turn on Real-time protection' from the Windows Defender > Settings > Real-time protection (& Save changes), to keep Windows Defender as an On-demand scanner. However, Malwarebytes Free is a good alternate, as it's (IMO) pointless using 2 Antivirus scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.