Advice Request Windows Defender + OSArmor +SysHardener Tweak suggestions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Really excited to use this combo. Can someone share me some details on how to improve protection and the tweaks that I need to do in fresh clean installation of Windows with
  • Windows Defender,
  • OSArmor and
  • Syshardener?

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Really excited to use this combo. Can someone share me some details on how to improve protection and the tweaks that I need to do in fresh clean installation of Windows with
  • Windows Defender,
  • OSArmor and
  • Syshardener?
'Windows Defender + SysHardener' setup is enough for most users. It has got a great compatibility with Windows 10. But, when the user wants to go beyond the suggested restrictions, the chances to block something important goes up, and there is no possibility to exclude the blocked events. WD can be tweaked by PowerShell cmdlets or external configurators.

Windows Defender + OSArmor (tweaked) is stronger than WD + SysHardener. It has also a very convenient feature to exclude the blocked events. Yet, it has a fewer compatibility with Windows - that can be seen sometimes after the major update/upgrade. Some of the OSA advanced settings can have an impact on the system.

Using OSArmor with SysHardener will be not convenient, because many restrictions are doubled in a different way (Windows policies vs. OSA driver policies). So, the setup is messed up and hard to understand. It is good until something will be blocked. So, it can be probably adopted by some advanced users to tweak the locked setup.

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I still stand by WD alone w/ something else is not enough for home/basic/first time users, however intermediate to advanced this setup is very adequate.

I just don't rate WD, personal opinion and experience. It also resonates on my own setup as well, ironically enough. xD

~LDogg

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

'Windows Defender + SysHardener' setup is enough for most users. It has got a great compatibility with Windows 10. But, when the user wants to go beyond the suggested restrictions, the chances to block something important goes up, and there is no possibility to exclude the blocked events. WD can be tweaked by PowerShell cmdlets or external configurators.

Windows Defender + OSArmor (tweaked) is stronger than WD + SysHardener. It has also a very convenient feature to exclude the blocked events. Yet, it has a fewer compatibility with Windows - that can be seen sometimes after the major update/upgrade. Some of the OSA advanced settings can have an impact on the system.

Using OSArmor with SysHardener will be not convenient, because many restrictions are doubled in a different way (Windows policies vs. OSA driver policies). So, the setup is messed up and hard to understand. It is good until something will be blocked. So, it can be probably adopted by some advanced users to tweak the locked setup.

I'm currently using this setup and I like it a lot, it's simple and effective. OSArmor is a great tool to help fill in the gaps that WD leaves, or any other product for that matter. I am also using syshardener, and after reading your post, I realize that I am overlapping protection. I may just remove Syshardener and keep OSArmor because I like the abilities to easily make exclusions as you cannot do that with Syshardener. If I do keep SH do you have specific recommendations for settings to keep enabled that can add to the overall protection, but not overlap OSA?

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If I do keep SH do you have specific recommendations for settings to keep enabled that can add to the overall protection, but not overlap OSA?
This is a question that should be answered in OSA thread or SysHardener thread. OSA can be tweaked in many ways, and I do not know which would be good for you. Some settings may be good for one user and not good for another. You can also open your own thread, because there can be many answers.(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.