Advice Request Windows Defender Periodic Scan

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Does anyone here use the Windows Defender periodic scanner,even though they have a third party {Kaspersky Internet security for me} progam running?, any pros or cons would be appreciated Thank you

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I don't see how Windows Defender periodic scan would add anything worth it to your security arsenal, since Kaspersky's signatures are usually better than Microsoft's.
Only case scenario I would think about it is when running a no-signature based solution, like Comodo Firewall solo.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If the scan runs when you are not using the computer, why not let it run? There might be some adwares and riskwares that Kaspersky allows and Microsoft does not, especially if you enable PUA protection in Windows Defender.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Waste of time and resources.. I heard leaving that option on causes issues actually because Windows Defender will still cause conflicts.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Waste of time and resources.. I heard leaving that option on causes issues actually because Windows Defender will still cause conflicts.
If it runs when you are not using the computer, like it is supposed to, it's not wasting your time or hogging your resources.
As for the conflicts, please link us to a post or article about that, or provide some details.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
If it runs when you are not using the computer, like it is supposed to, it's not wasting your time or hogging your resources.
As for the conflicts, please link us to a post or article about that, or provide some details.
I can't cite an article. Only my experience. When WD is scanning, Emsisoft would indirectly scan every file as well because it is being accessed. And IMO it is a waste of resources because it is CPU and disk intensive and taking nearly forever when other programs can do a full scan in a realistic time frame. It's better to leave it off and download something like EEK, Norton Power Eraser or Zemana Portable.

L

Local Host

I can't cite an article. Only my experience. When WD is scanning, Emsisoft would indirectly scan every file as well because it is being accessed. And IMO it is a waste of resources because it is CPU and disk intensive and taking nearly forever when other programs can do a full scan in a realistic time frame. It's better to leave it off and download something like EEK, Norton Power Eraser or Zemana Portable.
Not to mention Windows Defender has nothing to add when you already running a third-party AV, Microsoft has the lowest detection rate of the bunch.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
FWIW: When I used Sophos I had it enabled and never had a problem with it, and that's with my old laptop - not exactly a tower of power. When it scanned it did so unbeknownst to me until I got a notification. But with K you won't need it.

Does anyone here use the Windows Defender periodic scanner,even though they have a third party {Kaspersky Internet security for me} progam running?, any pros or cons would be appreciated Thank you

Periodic scans are a waste of resources. Install an AV, run the initial scan, and then afterwards let the real-time protection do its job. There is no need to run periodic scans.

The people who are always on about wanting scheduled scans are the ones that cannot cope with the thought of inactive malware on their system. If its sitting there doing nothing, then it isn't doing any harm. Besides, if the AV misses it in the first place, the AV scan isn't going to make any difference anyway.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Is this with Emsisoft on default setting?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you think you are adequately protected by Kaspersky, then it's optional. Periodic scanning is a fancy term for scheduled scans.

This feature is not available if Windows Defender Antivirus is your primary security solution. It appears when a third-party Antivirus is installed and detected by the OS. Applies to Windows 10 v1703 and later.
Enable the limited periodic scanning feature in Windows Defender AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.