Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Good concept.
To round out your native Windows security config, you could use a standard users account (maybe you already do), and use Windows Hard_Configurator to disable Windows script host, Powershell, and anything else that catches your fancy.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How do you store your login credentials and do you use 2-Factor Authentication for Web accounts?

We have 2FA for your MalwareTips account.

Reactions: JM Safe

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Great config. Thanks for sharing. What software you use to make system backups?

Reactions: frogboy

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
You are perfectly fine. Make sure to upload unknown files to VT since you have no anti-exe.
Thanks for sharing :)
I like to think the allow from Windows store only option in app settings is effectively an anti exe.

But when i need a file from the internet, I always check it against VT

Great config. Thanks for sharing. What software you use to make system backups?
just windows restore points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rengar and frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I would like to suggest creating system images with either Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper both have a free and reliable version. :)

Reactions: JM Safe and Rengar

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
How do you store your login credentials and do you use 2-Factor Authentication for Web accounts?

We have 2FA for your MalwareTips account.
I store login credentials in a real life notepad.

I would like to suggest creating system images with either Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper both have a free and reliable version. :)
ok thanks

The only "weak point" on this config is its exposure to fileless malwares (those using memory vectors), but the chance a safe habit's user will encounter those are more than minimal.
"File-less malware attacks evade detection by avoiding the drop of malicious files in favor of methods such as storing information in system memory, leveraging PowerShell or Windows registry, or using malicious macros."

Is there any simple solution to prevent those?

D

Deleted member 178

Is there any simple solution to prevent those?
Yes,

- using Software Restriction Policy applications (Appguard, Hard Configurator, etc...), they will not block the attack but will stop the dropped files.
- using memory protection softwares (MemProtect, etc...)
- using HIPS/BB

if you really afraid of this kind of attacks, based on your config, SRP is your best bait.

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Add HTTPS Everywhere to Chrome.
ZAM to on demand
Nice setup :)

System Restore points are not Backups. It cannot be used to restore lost data or damage by malware, only system changes.
If you get damaged by malware you can use safe mode to restore your system. If safe mode isnt working then you are scr**ed...:D

Reactions: frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you get damaged by malware you can use safe mode to restore your system. If safe mode isnt working then you are scr**ed...:D
In malware removal I have seen the helpers suggest to the user to delete all system restore points before proceeding with removal. Restore Points may also fail when they conflict with 3rd party software. So it's not a real solution for a backup.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I like to think the allow from Windows store only option in app settings is effectively an anti exe.

But when i need a file from the internet, I always check it against VT

Kind of. Remember many ransomware comes from js files or office macros and Windows blocking mode won't protect you from those.
Anyways if you check every unknown file with VT you will probably never get infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.