App Review Windows Defender Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

It's a lie ! It's negative propaganda ! It's a smear-campaign video ! How dare you ! Microsoft and Windows Defender save lives ! :ROFLMAO:

I just had to take a jab at the fanbois who will certainly scream "Foul ! foul !".

The real joke is on Windows 10 users.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

illumination

btw, that was a cool way to execute that files. never saw that from a youtuber.
Horse and pony show... Not even close to realistic. No user is going to run a batch script of hundreds of samples from their desktop at once on their system.

The best way to test if you are going to, is to execute "dynamic testing" the samples 1 at a time and resetting the snapshot each time. During execution, file/registry/traffic monitoring should be deployed and monitoring system changes of exactly how the product fares with stopping/blocking, and removing completely all traces.

Side note, can we please refrain from getting personal with these threads, it is the same thing over and over.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It would be silly to claim that Defender at default settings is the strongest AV out there. On the other hand, it should protect well enough if your system is taking advantage of native Windows security:
Windows 10 x64 1803, using the default apps (for instance, PDFs open in Edge).
Standard (limited) user account
UAC at max
Windows Defender configured with Andy Ful's ConfigureDefender, using the ASR rules.
Powershell in constrained language.
Harden the OS just a little bit, for instance by running NVT SysHardener at default settings.

If anyone wants to test a setup like this against a couple good packs of nasty zero-days, I would love to see the results.

Again, I am not claiming that Defender at default settings is great. It isn't. I am claiming that tweaked Defender, on a system utilizing native Windows security features, should be good enough.

I

illumination

If anyone wants to test a setup like this against a couple good packs of nasty zero-days, I would love to see the results.

I would love to see those results as well as seeing the same from all other consumer products tested that way, bet it would be an eye opening experience for many. After they see this, i would like to also remind them, that the chances of them seeing these same results at their home, behind a router would be slim at best. It is so easy to get wrapped up into a mind set here in the forum of needing tons of security.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I would love to see those results as well as seeing the same from all other consumer products tested that way, bet it would be an eye opening experience for many. After they see this, i would like to also remind them, that the chances of them seeing these same results at their home, behind a router would be slim at best. It is so easy to get wrapped up into a mind set here in the forum of needing tons of security.
Right. I think most AVs would do very well in this environment. My point is that Defender can be sufficient, if used in the right environment.
Parenthetically, I would add that the ASR rules might give Defender a certain advantage over other AVs as regards MS Office exploits.

I

illumination

The right environment being one without any true Zero-Day malware...
Unpatched software and social engineering are the 2 most likely reasons a user would get exploited, even in a corporate environment. Not becoming lazy in maintenance and learning safer/informed habits will negate a good deal of this.

Please take note that i did not state it would stop them all.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The right environment being one without any true Zero-Day malware...
So why not put it to the test? Go ahead, prove me wrong.
Set up a VM like I suggested:
Windows 10 x64 1803, using the default apps (for instance, PDFs open in Edge).
Standard (limited) user account
UAC at max
Windows Defender configured with Andy Ful's ConfigureDefender, using the ASR rules.
Powershell in constrained language.
Harden the OS just a little bit, for instance by running NVT SysHardener at default settings.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Shum26- I've done WD, UAC, and SUA bypass videos in the past. No one really cared then and I have no reasonable expectation that any would care now. If you want to do such a video, go for it. Personally I've given up.

All I want Is to collect my bonus this year, retire and be a Ski Bum. No computer, Security, or malware thoughts forever...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Shum26- I've done WD, UAC, and SUA bypass videos in the past. No one really cared then and I have no reasonable expectation that any would care now. If you want to do such a video, go for it. Personally I've given up.

All I want Is to collect my bonus this year, retire and be a Ski Bum. No computer, Security, or malware thoughts forever...
Yeah, I know it's not really your cup of tea. But if anyone else would be willing to test it out in an environment similar to the one I suggested, it would be interesting to see if Windows security can be smashed on its own ground.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yeah, I know it's not really your cup of tea. But if anyone else would be willing to test it out in an environment similar to the one I suggested, it would be interesting to see if Windows security can be smashed on its own ground.
SysHardener + any AV will be probably very effective especially on SUA. This a simple but effective solution. Of course, the simple solutions have also some cons.
SysHardener is not as strong as default-deny protection via SRP. If you will disable too much file extensions in SysHardener, then the setup will not be so usable, because those files will not be opened from Explorer at all. SRP can whitelist Windows, Program Files, etc. so the blocked files are really blocked only outside whitelisted locations. When using SRP, one can effectively block much more file extensions than with SysHardener.
After looking at the blocked extensions by SysHardener 1.5, it is evident that CHM files are not protected. The attacker can run the CHM file and spoil all MS Office protections (no blocking of: macros, ActiveX, OLE, DDE), revert the file associations for all scripts, and unblock some other protections. This is possible because SysHardener makes many registry changes as standard user (in HKCU hive) for the single local account. On the contrary, SRP usually make system-wide changes (as administrator in HKLM hive). And there comes another problem - those changes will not be visible after running SysHardener - it can apply restrictions (via ticked options), but does not show the actual setup.
There are some other differences between SRP and SysHardener restrictions. SysHardener has some nice features not related to SRP like firewall outbound connections, etc.
Anyway, SysHardener in default settings + Windows Defender ASR will be a simpler solution for many users than SRP.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Software Restriction Policy is the super-power of native Windows security. But the new ASR rules, as far as I have seen so far, are also very good. I think folks should check them out, before they dismiss Defender with a wave of their hand.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Software Restriction Policy is the super-power of native Windows security. But the new ASR rules, as far as I have seen so far, are also very good. I think folks should check them out, before they dismiss Defender with a wave of their hand.
WD ASR rules play well both with SRP and SysHardener. Also, the Exploit Guard program for popular vulnerable applications would be welcome.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I am looking forward to your Exploit Guard settings in the next version of Hard_Configurator,/ConfigureDefender, if you can do that.
I can see that such application would be welcome, but this will require much testing. So the plan is as follows (group work):
  1. Open the thread about WD Exploit Guard for popular vulnerable applications.
  2. MalwareTips members can post their Exploit Guard setups.
  3. The setups can be tested by the people who use those applications in daily tasks.
  4. The well tested EG setups can be included in the WD Exploit Guard program (in the future).
For now, I have much testing with Hard_Configurator - it still needs some corrections.
I had a plan to make a simpler version of Hard_Configurator for medium experienced users. But, now we have NVT SysHardener that can handle some vulnerable file extensions, scripts and vulnerable Windows programs to harden the system. It is not the default-deny solution (for EXE, MSI files), so does not require whitelisting. Furthermore, I think that it is sufficiently effective for the medium experienced users, so the new application is not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.