Advice Request Windows defender uses 15% of the CPU

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadden

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Actually Windows defender is off (Realtime/Cloud) but I still have on its malware protection.
As realtime AV I use Panda, as cloud I often go with Zemana.
Same for Windows firewall which is off (as I use Comodo Firewall).

It's a too high value or a pretty regular one?
CPU: FX8320

Keeping on the WD malware protection on is somehow redundant?

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
If you're already using Panda for real-time protection then you don't need Windows Defender as well; you only need one Anti-Virus at once.

You could always disable Windows Defender real-time protection (since you're already using Panda for real-time protection) and still use Windows Defender for features like SmartScreen if it works well for you. I don't recommend disabling SmartScreen as long as it works well for you and in your configuration.

For the record, Windows Defender is known to be a resource hog for a lot of people as far as I know. While I have not encountered issues with it on modern hardware, I know that many others have. And it's one contributing factor as to why some people still use third-party, even when Windows Defender would be sufficient to their needs.

Reactions: roger_m and Hadden

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is MsMpEng.exe (Antimalware Service Executable) the one in question?

CPU usage is normal during scans, updates and when downloading.

Windows Defender should have deactivated upon detection of a third-party Antivirus.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Defender is an epic hog. I'm always shocked at how bad my machines (even decent gaming rigs) run after a Win10 reset when WD fires back up. It's like I poured concrete into them.

I use GP's to disable defender, smartscreen and all assorted messes related.

Hadden

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
It's him.
Actually, that usage is the idle background process (never did a scan with it).
Before the windows updates it was totally off -- but then appeared again.
Well, I guess I can safely disable even the malware (background) service with gpedit if I don't use it.
Probably, WD don't detect Panda Dome.

Win 10.0.17134.228 build 1803 (which came not so time ago in un-targeted branch).

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.