App Review Windows Defender vs Ransomware! (Shocking Results?)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
NB InfoTech

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Interesting video! It emphasizes the importance of having a robust security system in place. Thanks for sharing.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I use Defender. Ask me if I care about this video?
It can't be that hard to make a video of any AV being breached if you know what you are doing. Some do it because they have a bias against a certain software. ( Not saying that is the case in this video.)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024
What happens when the samples are modified and slip right past your now expensive security suites you had to have because you do not trust windows security :unsure:

Executable's and scripts, both of which need to be initiated. Both of which could be uploaded to
and
Before execution.

Not to mention Imaging software to restore the whole system should something like this bypass "ANY" security you may have in place, oh and do not forget offline backups of personal files ect so as to not lose those during any process.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
This, applies here as well (y)
To be fair though, I do the same with windows. I can open a windows laptop with nothing but default security and an ad blocker in the browser and just use the device as intended. I used to run my windows machine this way for a long time just fine. I kept analysis tools on hand to manually check the system from time to time, but other then, I did not focus on it as much as I used to when I did all the security/application testing here. I would keep Process Explorer/Autoruns both with VT enabled, PeStudio and TCPview on the device for checking from time to time. I of course always checked files and applications "downloads" ect in VT or PeStudio before execution, I always cross referenced websites before proceeding, I "verified" everything as I was never in too big a hurry to not be cautious and thorough. I kept everything backed up and on external devices should something happen, never storing personal important items on the system directly. No infections in all that time. It was not tons of security that kept my system clean, it was habits.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Not to mention Imaging software to restore the whole system should something like this bypass "ANY" security you may have in place, oh and do not forget offline backups of personal files ect so as to not lose those during any process.
You remind me, I need to find a free imaging backup program. I do weekly personal files backup but need to find one for quarterly disk imaging.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
I use Defender. Ask me if I care about this video?
It can't be that hard to make a video of any AV being breached if you know what you are doing. Some do it because they have a bias against a certain software. ( Not saying that is the case in this video.)
The guy who made this video is a member here at MT ! @NB InfoTech

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Too bad he is not using the advanced (hidden) settings of MS Defender. I can be a big difference. I know most of the MS Defender users are not using regkeys, GPO's, DefenderUI or an other tool to tweak MS Defender. Microsoft can add these easy in the Defender UI.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.