App Review Windows Defender vs TrendMicro 10 on Windows 10

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
A few clarifications to the video:

1). As I didn’t do a direct scan of the malware files it may not have been immediately apparent that both WD and TM had identical detection rate via definitions (8/11).

2). Both products have a module that if the user agrees will submit files back to the Cloud. Two days after this video was completed I checked to see if there was any difference in raw detection and indeed there was- both products detected all eleven samples.

The ability of whatever security product to improve detection with submitted samples is important, but much more so in the case of Windows Defender. With Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender having a current combined market share of about 27%, the chance of a defense being in place for any given zero-day malware is obviously greater for that product having vastly more input being delivered.

3). In the Trend micro part of the Video I am sure that I gave the impression that the only reason that WD was disabled was due to deactivation by TM. This is not the case at all- Windows 10 will deactivate WD on its own when it detects another real-time security installation.

4). Finally note that this review concentrates on one particular form of malware. To determine real world effectiveness only time (and subsequent broader-based testing) will tell.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: Davidov and LAGUN

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Hi Moose- Although Zemana and Spyshelter are proof against keylogging techniques and Keyscrambler will defeat meaningful information being sent out to the bad guys, I personally am not a fan of the "one-trick-pony" type of protection that products like these afford as I prefer a more broad based solution.

As an example of what I mean, consider the Python keylogger that was seen in this video- I really like it as it provides an excellent "in your face" demonstration; but consider that Python scripts can be used as a basis for other malware types from worms to downloaders to ransomware. Anti-keylogging software won't really help for these.

For vbs protection on non-Windows 10 systems the best way is just to disable the Windows Scripting Host-

Reactions: Moose and Enju
D

Deleted member 2913

Cruelsister,

Currently only WD uses Anti-malware Scanning Interface, right?
Any other AV that uses AMSI?

Reactions: Moose

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Honestly I'm not at all positive that no one else makes use of the data, but I am positive that I haven't read of any currently advertising that they do. This isn't surprising as AMSI wasn't even finalized in the W10 beta versions.

But I can say that Windows 10 includes a Security improvement which no one is talking about but which makes me quite happy. I'll be releasing a short video about it this week (with a peppier song).

Last edited:

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Hi @cruelsister
Can you please tell me where or how you got this start menu? is it builtin or to install something like startisbuck?

Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.