Advice Request Windows Enteprise and Windows Defender ATP Pricing

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Thread author
I am posting this to clarify what is Windows Defender ATP, what it costs, and how it works.

Link: Microsoft rejiggers Windows 10 Enterprise subscriptions, pricing

Windows Defender ATP is only available as a subscription at the Windows 10 Enterprise\Education level.

To get a Windows 10 Enteprise license, you have to purchase a Windows 10 Pro license retail key at $199 and then pay an annual subscription fee for the Enterprise license. Enterprise is not a standalone license. It is an "add-on" annual subscription to Windows 10 Pro. Microsoft has made changes in this area, but the language - as usual - is as clear as mud.

To take full advantage of Windows 10 Enterprise security, a user must also use Microsoft Device Management (InTune) service. InTune is an additional fee on top of the price of a Windows 10 Pro license, the price of the Enterprise subscription, and the subscription fee for Windows ATP.

Windows WADC policies can be created in Enterprise and distributed to ANY version of Windows 10 via device management, but you still have to pay for the policy distribution and ATP services per user per year.

Windows Enterprise comes in two levels - E3 and E5.

E3 includes the fee for InTune but does not include Windows Defender ATP ($104.88 per user per year).

E5 includes the price of both InTune and Windows Defender ATP ($ 177.60 per user per year).

That means the price of Windows Defender ATP is $72.72 per user per year.

None of this includes the subscription costs and other fees for services such as Microsoft Office 365, which can be upwards of $144 for Office ProPlus E5 per year per user.

Microsoft will be doing away with the "Per User" and "Per Device" language, but still the costs will be per license. In other words, word games and marketing gimmicks.

Microsoft has announced it is raising the above prices. TBD. It is possible that prices will come down just a bit - but the language is, you guessed it, as clear as mud.

Total cost = approximately $520 per license\per user per year for full-featured W10 Enterprise and approximately $440 for W10 Pro.

Of course the more you buy, you will get larger discounts and year-end rebates.

Now you should realize how lucky you are paying only $40 per year for a security soft license.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Windows Defender ATP is only available as a subscription at the Windows 10 Enterprise\Education level.

To get a Windows 10 Enteprise license, you have to purchase a Windows 10 Pro license retail key at $199 and then pay an annual subscription fee for the Enterprise license. Enterprise is not a standalone license. It is an "add-on" annual subscription to Windows 10 Pro. Microsoft has made changes in this area, but the language - as usual - is as clear as mud.

E5 includes the price of both InTune and Windows Defender ATP ($ 177.60 per user per year).

Total cost = approximately $520 per license\per user per year for full-featured W10 Enterprise and approximately $440 for W10 Pro.
The big scam from MS, and those fanboys keeping promoting and touching themselves about WD ATP when 0.00001% of users will ever use it.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
$440 Buhahaha xD
Lets compare it to software which i use and offer other peoples.

SpyShelterFW 40$
Sandbxie 21$
ReHIPS: 61$
Shadow Defender 35$(lifetime)
ZemanaAL 22$
SecureAplus 30$ with addons: Avira/Policy
VMware wokrstation Pro 15 320$ / VMware Player - Free

For 80-110$ you can make rly cool securty setup or even less if you buy for more years + discount :)
And you must realize how much M$ can do compared to software which i wrote above ^^

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Thread author
Ok got it. Need to save $520 to get ultimate protection. Will start saving for it asap.

After spending your money, you can then spend a year of your time figuring out how to configure and use it all. Almost no documentation.

Thread author
Use Chromebook.

Chromebook is better than Windows.

For personal stuff I use it.

Much less problems, must more reliable, and much safer - all without all the headaches of Windows.

For 3/4 the cost ($385) of just the Windows 10 Entperise stuff, I have a very powerful Chromebook that gives me everything I need for day-to-day use and I get 10+ hours battery time.

And before anyone starts... if you game or you have to use Microsoft Office or Adobe products, then guess what - we already know that Chromebook isn't going to work... unfortunately for you, you are cursed to be stuck with Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Al-Faqir

Greg_lls

Jan 18, 2019
Microsoft's new improvements just make me sad in all. I agree with Lockdown that Chromebook is much better for work that W10. Also, I am using it in educational purposes, like an essay writing for students. This is not an advertisement, but Chromebook works extremely fast in project tasks for college.
You can compose how my website Edubirdie (Custom Assignment Writing Service Online - EduBirdie.com) works on W10 and Chromebook. The difference exists, indeed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.