Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Microsoft is reportedly making some more changes to its Windows 8 platform in preparation for the upcoming RTM and final flavors.

One of these will affect the name of one of the most popular tools the platform has at the moment, namely its Windows Explorer.

Since it is being used mostly for exploring the files and folders on the computer, Microsoft has decided to rename the tool to File Explorer, rumor has it.

The change is not a big one, since the Explorer will continue to sport the same features as it did before, yet it does mark another change when compared to the Windows we knew so far.

Read More: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Explorer-to-Become-File-Explorer-in-Windows-8-RTM-278737.shtml

Now that name makes sense to me. :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It makes sense calling it File Explorer, though a little obvious (and a little Mac-like). However, I still prefer Windows Explorer.

But I'm not a fan of the Windows Search using some background process, but I guess nothing will be done about that.

Windows 8 was supposed to be released with a new file system, but I guess not. :(

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
If I understand your question correctly your talking about ReFS? As of right now it's only on the Windows Server 2012 version.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/01/microsoft-introduces-new-robust-resilient-file-system-for-windows-server-8/
Earth said:
It makes sense calling it File Explorer, though a little obvious (and a little Mac-like). However, I still prefer Windows Explorer.

But I'm not a fan of the Windows Search using some background process, but I guess nothing will be done about that.

Windows 8 was supposed to be released with a new file system, but I guess not. :(

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I think this new filesystem was due to come with Longhron which was scrapped and crap Vista came out. That time it was called WinFS. IS ReFS same as that? I read the article and it seems same.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
PCJunkList, yes that one, but it's only for Windows "Server" and not on stock consumer Windows 8.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
At this stage it's really just a MS attempt to garner some people away from adding ZFS. It's nice if you need to be in a WIN environment but people won't be switching over from a free ZFS to MS because of it.

Earth said:
PCJunkList, yes that one, but it's only for Windows "Server" and not on stock consumer Windows 8.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
*Someone rings the office for computer help*
Customer: "I can't do anything in Windows. What can I do now?"
Helper on the line: "Can you please click start and type Windows Explorer?"
Customer: "There is no Windows Explorer, just File Explorer"
*Helper hangs up*

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.