Windows Firewall and VPNs

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
When running a VPN client from Home, the OS still thinks it's on a Private Network and thus Private, not Public Firewall settings apply.
Of course changing it by hand each time is possible but it's also an inconvenience and easy to forget. How do MT members cope with this ?

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
When running a VPN client from Home, the OS still thinks it's on a Private Network and thus Private, not Public Firewall settings apply.
Of course changing it by hand each time is possible but it's also an inconvenience and easy to forget. How do MT members cope with this ?
I always run my FW as public. I don’t really do any file sharing, so it works for me. Didn’t really think about this issue because of that.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I always run my FW as public. I don’t really do any file sharing, so it works for me. Didn’t really think about this issue because of that.

If you have the firewall profile to public then I believe casting from your laptop won't work. In a private network you do want to allow inward connections sometimes

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If you have the firewall profile to public then I believe casting from your laptop won't work. In a private network you do want to allow inward connections sometimes
Totally understand, I have a desktop hdmi’d to a tv so it’s just not something I’d considered. I think it depends on the casting software. Microsoft’s streaming the Xbox to the pc will still work, and I have cast YouTube to a tv with it set to public network (I think, honestly that was a while ago in our old house with no wired setup so I could be misremembering). You have a valid question, I had never considered it since I didn’t have the use case. I’m curious about a solution for your issue.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.