Windows Firewall: Block an Application from Accessing the Internet (Guide)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Probably I'll try it on w7. But in MS community they keep on saying no third party fw/ av on w10

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Me too :D i thought it was a little easier.
Anyway.
I surfed the net for ages to understand if wf allows all outbound connection by default, so if it is a one way fw. I found on MS community it is one way. Can someone confirm?
Thank you.

solved: one way.

anyway.

it shouldn't be easier to manually config wf if you disable all and then set rule only for your trusted program?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why the headache huh? Stick to comodo :D
Comodo isn't completely suitable for all types of users, it's not a solution to this guide, but rather an alternate to Windows Firewall.

@Dirk41 Windows Firewall does provide Notifications for some applications requesting Private and Public network access, for example, Spotify.

Reactions: Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Comodo isn't completely suitable for all types of users, it's not a solution to this guide, but rather an alternate to Windows Firewall.

@Dirk41 Windows Firewall does provide Notifications for some applications requesting Private and Public network access, for example, Spotify.

yes but i suppose those are for incoming communications.
how third party fw like those of norton/kaspersky/bitdefender works? they only allow trusted programs i suppose , right?
so is not possibile to block all outgoing communications and create rules jus for your trusted programs with adavnced settings?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I cannot comment on how those software's Firewall work. But be aware that even some 3rd-part suites like Avira Internet Security utilise the Windows Firewall platform instead of their own version.

WFAS can be used to block incoming/outgoing communications, but requires manual set-up and tweaking. By default, Windows users can download and install software without being blocked Internet Access. Therefore, I come to the conclusion that WFAS can be used at home, for advanced PC users, or who like better control without deploying other software that may cause issues or conflicts.

Other members, or @hjlbx @Inkurax @Umbra @cruelsister may be able to provide a better insight.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
"wfas "is avira? anyway thank you , i don't want to bother anyone else

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
I have selected the option to block ALL incoming connections on both home and public networks. Is this enough? Or do I have to go into the advanced section and start creating rules?

hJkEUhs.png
I would set it to block inbound and outbound requests that got not rule and then work over all rules one by one, remember to set it up to notify when a new app makes an inbound or outbound request.

EDIT: To harden your Windows even more, disable unused features/services.
Some examples could be things like file and printer sharing, remote desktop, remote assistance, branch cache, ipv6 + it's tunnels, Microsoft Networking, Xbox and more, really depends on what you need/use on your LAN, something that targets what is disabled really goes nowhere, regardless if it might slip trough the firewall.

Last edited:

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Why not just using Glaswire Firewall?

I have use it and it's much better that other Windows Firewall controls. Try it I am sure you will definitely like it. I liked it because it uses Windows Firewall and Enhanced it.

I use multiple Check Point VPN and many firewall is incompatible with it. But since GlassWire uses windows firewall I never had compatibility issues. ;)
I tried Glaswire, it works more like a monitor than a program that gives easier control over the advanced security settings in Windows Firewall.
It's still a nice addition if you got the need to keep track while using the build in Firewall, it doesn't nor provides options to tighten the security, you still need to go with the advanced security settings and work trough the filters to archive that.

EDIT: Need to pay for Glasswire to get it working as a proper Firewall.

Last edited:

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Me too :D i thought it was a little easier.
Anyway.
I surfed the net for ages to understand if wf allows all outbound connection by default, so if it is a one way fw. I found on MS community it is one way. Can someone confirm?
Thank you.
Windows Firewall is two way if you use the advanced settings and block everything both inbound as outbound that the system and you didn't make a rule for.
It has some other advanced settings on top.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Thank you . Yeah I know but to difficult and too much time to set for me. It should be easy if you can block all outbound , then get notifications when an app requires to exit and so decide if allow or not

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Thank you . Yeah I know but to difficult and too much time to set for me. It should be easy if you can block all outbound , then get notifications when an app requires to exit and so decide if allow or not
For outbound notifications you could use WFN (Windows Firewall Notifier).
WFN (Windows Firewall Notifier) - Home
If you find it to bloated and if you can code, it can be stripped down with Visual Studio since it is open source.
Project is alpha though.

Other alternative would be Binisoft's Firewall Control, but you need to pay for it to get the notifications.

I would just go with Comodo Firewall if it needs to be free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.