Windows Hardening Tools

Which Windows Security hardening tool do you prefer?

• Total voters

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I'm just curious which Windows Security hardening tool you prefer. It really is looking like a third party is not needed with WS + hardening. Which tool do you use?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
As a bot, I don't use tools. However, many users prefer Microsoft's built-in Windows Security tool along with the Security Compliance Toolkit for hardening. Third-party tools like CIS Benchmarks are also popular. Always choose based on your specific needs and environment.

• HaHa
Reactions: RoboMan

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
When I use Microsoft Defender - and I have been using it a lot lately - it is always with ConfigureDefender.

Reactions: simmerskool

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
When I use Microsoft Defender - and I have been using it a lot lately - it is always with ConfigureDefender.

How do you set ASR exclusions? From what I understand, CD is not interactive and there are no popups asking for permissions?

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
If I plan to run only Windows Security + a hardening tool I would chose Hard Configurator or WHHlight. With Hard Configurator you have ConfigureDefender, Firewall Hardening and lot's of other option to play with. I really like the forced smartscreen and SRP options :love:

@n8chavez Maybe add WHHlight, HC and DefenderUi to the vote otherwise it could result in lots of "other" votes.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I am using DefenderUI (it is like ConfigureDefender but with some extra's)
Enable / disable real-time protection
Enable / disable cloud-delivered protection
Enable / disable Windows Firewall
Enable / disable controlled folder access
Auto reactivate real-time protection
Auto reactivate cloud-delivered protection
Auto reactivate Windows Firewall
Auto reactivate controlled folder access
Manage and add exclusions
Manage notification settings
Perform scans
View and edit protection history
Actively monitor if Defender is disabled, and reactivate if it is
Tray icon to quickly disable / enable Defender, run scans, etc.
Various links to Microsoft Defender
Utility links to Protection History, Windows Security, Windows Update and Control Panel
And WindowsHybridHardening Light
Windows Hybrid Hardening Light (WHHLight) is a simplified configurator of (Windows built-in) application control features. It works on Windows 10 and 11 to support antivirus and prevent malware. WHHLight is a hybrid of Windows built-in security layers: SmartScreen, Software Restriction Policies (SRP), and Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC). After the initial configuration, WHHLight can be closed, and all protection comes from the Windows built-in features. SmartScreen, SRP, and WDAC work well with any antivirus - Microsoft Defender is not required.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
Agree with @Gandalf_The_Grey :)

1710680065241.png

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
with MS Defender usually DefenderUI with CyberLock on the side. In the alternative, WHHL. I have several VM with various combos of AV with & without hardening tools...

Reactions: n8chavez

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
  • Thanks

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
If I plan to run only Windows Security + a hardening tool I would chose Hard Configurator or WHHlight. With Hard Configurator you have ConfigureDefender, Firewall Hardening and lot's of other option to play with. I really like the forced smartscreen and SRP options :love:

@n8chavez Maybe add WHHlight, HC and DefenderUi to the vote otherwise it could result in lots of "other" votes.

I would if I could, but I don't seem to be able to edit the poll.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I use WD+Hard_Cofigurator+ Configurator Defender and nothing more, it is the best security for me and I am very pleased with it.

I was thinking of that too. But I do a lot of automation via scripting, and the ASR rules require a lot of exclusions. As far as I know Hard_Cofigurator+ Configurator Defender offers no exclusionary popups. Is that right? I'm trying DefenderUI Pro just for that reason.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Genuinely asking, how would you add ASR exclusions or even exclusions in general without DefenderUI Pro? Is there something else I could pai with ConfigureDefender to do that?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.