Windows Me, 20 Years Later: Was It Really That Bad?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Twenty years ago, the turn of the millenium saw some serious software bugs. No, we’re not talking about Y2K here: We’re talking about Windows Me.
Dubbed “Windows Mistake Edition” by PCWorld, Windows Me is not remembered fondly by many.
Read the full article here at How-To Geek:

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
3465uh67.jpg

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I thought I was alone in actually liking ME even if it didn't last that long - I'm not sure if the guy who wrote the article posted by Gandalf_The-Grey is actually old enough to have used it? :):)

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I remember using Windows 2000 (Which isn't mentioned!) and then after XP going to Vista and ugh both Vista and Windows 2000 had alot of problems at first... half my stuff broke until they came out with new drivers and updates.

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
When windows 1 and windows v 2 came out I was using an Amiga and laughed at the horrible gui. I didn't use a Windows system until Windows 98 SE.

If Commodore had been smarter everyone would be using Amigas today and not PCs. It had a superior OS and Hardware in that time period. They should have pushed it as a business computer instead of a games console.

The migration to Windows NT-based kernel was the real game changer for Windows.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If Commodore had been smarter everyone would be using Amigas today and not PCs. It had a superior OS and Hardware in that time period. They should have pushed it as a business computer instead of a games console.
Yes, it's a shame that they failed. AmigaOS was way ahead of its time.
When windows 1 and windows v 2 came out I was using an Amiga and laughed at the horrible gui. I didn't use a Windows system until Windows 98 SE.
I had an Amiga as well when the first versions of Windows were released, but knew little about Windows then. The first version of Windows I used was 3.0 when I went to college, but I still had an Amiga at home.

L

Local Host

I believe Windows Vista is more hated.

People trying to use it without meeting the specifications that had problems, me personally loved Vista (would use it if was still supported today).

Was also the first Windows to come with a stable x64 build, Windows XP was so buggy and had close to no support on it.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020

The migration to Windows NT-based kernel was the real game changer for Windows.
Yes, it's a shame that they failed. AmigaOS was way ahead of its time.
Yes indeed! Read this:

AmigaOS - Wikipedia
1600285559045.png
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › AmigaOS

The biggest difference is that the AmigaOS could operate fully and multitask in as little as 250 K of address space. Even today, the OS is only about 1 MB in size.

(Built to multitask and unix based before the others!)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I believe Windows Vista is more hated.

People trying to use it without meeting the specifications that had problems, me personally loved Vista (would use it if was still supported today).

Was also the first Windows to come with a stable x64 build, Windows XP was so buggy and had close to no support on it.
I think there are cases where people are evaluated after they retire. I moved from 7 to 10, but until I got used to it, I felt that win8 was a necessary rite of passage.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I switched to Vista from XP, when beta versions were released. On the laptop I was using at the time, I can't recall ever having any serious issues with Vista and liked it a lot.

Vista ran very well on some computers and was very buggy on others. But on computers where it was buggy, the bugs were usually fixed by installing Service Packs 1 and 2.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.