Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
WSUS Offline Update is a free portable program for Windows that you can use to download all updates released for a particular version of Windows. This is interesting for a number of reasons, the core being that it enables you to have all Windows updates and patches as executable files on your system, so that you can easily distribute the updates to connected machines or burn them to disc to have them ready whenever you receive a tech support call from a friend, family or client.

Version 8.0 introduces support for Microsoft’s recently released Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 operating systems which improves compatibility further. The latest version supports the following operating systems:

Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Server 2012
The program interface has not changed much. You can start it right after you have downloaded the program to your system and unpacked it there. The top half of the screen displays the supported operating system versions. To download all updates for a system check its box to do so.

wsuswindowsofflineupdat.jpg

Check out the options underneath the operating systems list first before you hit on the start button. The program includes service packs, if available, in the download. You can optionally add Microsoft Security Essentials, C++ Runtime Libraries, Microsoft .Net Framework updates and Windows Defender definitions in the downloads as well.

Note that downloads may take quite some time considering that they can easily be larger than 1 Gigabyte in size in total. The 64-bit Windows 7 update download for instance had a size of 1.99 Gigabyte.

The program verifies all update downloads by default which takes additional time and is set to happen once the downloads are finished. You can uncheck the option but you may end up with a broken update without knowing it.

downloadwindowsupdates.jpg

Updates are only downloaded to the local system by default – into the client sub directory – but not processed in any other way. If you are low on disk space, move the program to a partition or disk with enough space to store the selected updates.

You can configure WSUS Offline Update to create an ISO image instead which may be the more comfortable option, especially if you plan to burn the updates to disc anyway. If you prefer to use an USB Flash drive, you can copy the updates to it as well.

The download of Windows updates is the core feature of the product for obvious reasons, but it is not the only one. You can switch to the Office tab to download updates for Office 2007 and 2010 using the very same methodology. Office 2012 is missing at the time of writing but it is likely that it will be added in a future update by the authors of the program. The legacy products tab finally displays options to download Windows XP or Office 2003 updates as well.

WSUS Offline Update 8.0 What’s New

Here is a short selection of the biggest changes in the release:

Support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
Installation of IE 10 Preview no Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
Latest versions of .Net Framework and C++ Runtimes
Fixed erroneous downloads

If you want to download all official Microsoft Windows or Office updates then WSUS Offline Update is one of your best options. It is ideal for distribution and the creation of an update DVD or Flash drive. The latest version can be downloaded from the project website.

Source

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
This seems like a great tool if you have multiple machines to update and don't want to use a lot of bandwidth. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for sharing, really useful for first editions of Windows OS installation disc, which don't come with any SP or Updates.

P

Plexx

I have a question. Ain't this software based on same core abilities/functions as the famous AutoPatcher XP which was forced to be taken down after a few year of its existence by Microsoft? I believe their arguments had to do with Piracy or some sort of it revolving Windows Genuine Advantage module. If I recall correctly, that was sometime in the summer of 2007.

I know that AP did a comeback sometime not long ago but has problems after problems.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would imagine it is based on the same functions as AutoPatcher.I know Autopatcher was shut down by Microsoft but cant remember when maybe it was 2007.Then there was another program called c't offline updater which I think the author of that made the WSUS offline updater.I think the c't offline updater had some problems.I don't know the issues or reasons for Microsoft shutting down AutoPatcher but I would imagine it had to do with WGA and the fact that it was circumventing the purpose for the WGA which I guess could be considered by some as Piracy if in fact you are updating a non genuine OS.I personally think it is a very useful tool,not as a way of getting around WGA,but more so for being able to update a PC offline saving the time it takes to download the updates if you are updating multiple PC's or the portability and convenience of having them on hand if you are fixing someones PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.