Windows Phone Collapses by 85%, Microsoft Sells Just 1.2M Phones in Q2

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Windows Phone is getting hit after hit, and with Microsoft remaining tight-lipped about the fate of the platform (Redmond isn’t saying anything else than “we’re supporting the ecosystem”), sales continue to go down every new quarter.

In the most recent financial report, Microsoft has revealed that phone revenue declined by 71 percent, but no other specifics have been provided, such as the number of units sold during the quarter.

And yet, MSPU has spotted a reference in the most recent 10-K filing, which offers a closer look at the performance of the phone unit and lets us know how it did when compared to the same quarter the year before. Here’s what Microsoft says in the filing:

“Phone revenue decreased $4.2 billion or 56%, as we sold 13.8 million Microsoft Lumia (‘Lumia’) phones and 75.5 million other phones in fiscal year 2016, compared with 36.8 million and 126.8 million sold, respectively, in fiscal year 2015.”

Read more: Windows Phone Collapses by 85%, Microsoft Sells Just 1.2M Phones in Q2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have my third Windows phone. They have great battery life and are cheap compared to Android
I ran WP8 and 8.1 for 2 years before switching to Android. It was one of those decisions you don't regret. To successfully run and operate Android you need a device with above average specification, otherwise you don't get the optimal experience.

Like Android, Windows Phone / 10 Mobile needs to be tested by mobile network carriers, before rolled out to customers.

Reactions: Logethica

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It is still a hot trend between IOS and Android, because many prefer customization up to programs they can use; which why Windows Phone OS/10 is out of picture.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
It is still a hot trend between IOS and Android, because many prefer customization up to programs they can use; which why Windows Phone OS/10 is out of picture.
no one wants to make apps for WP too. Users have to wait ages for the official support for WP while like facebook and instagram. Instagram only allows the official app to run from last year (maybe?). no games, no apps that's why many ppl have ditched WP

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
To see now, even amazon App is being stopped for windows phone. I guess this would go in the other app developers mind too. I do own a Lumia 730 after various recommendations to my requests, now I feel the phone is great for its build and since I dont use lot of mobile Apps that makes me even simpler in using the phone.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I use it for business, it has all the apps I need. When travelling off line maps and translation are (money wise) an advantage over IOS and Android which (as far as I know, have only only Maps & Translation). When comparing Windows phones with Android and Apple (my Wife has an Adnroid for work and an Apple privately): a 200 dollar windows performs as good as 400 dollar Android phone or a 600 dollar Apple phone.

And best quality of the Windows phone: nobody wants it (in last five years it has been returned to me twice when forgotten, once on an Airport in Asia and on a Hotel in Africa.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.