Solved Windows Process Manager CPU Hog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloomyskye

Thread author
Dec 13, 2017
My laptop has been extremely slow and overheating since running a suspicious installer. A checkbox went unnoticed asking to install an "anti-malware" program. After the installation, my laptop began to run much slower and a program named Windows Process Manager has begun using upwards of five or six tasks, bringing my memory to upwards of 100% and putting my CPU at about 30%. Chrome began rerouting to a site called Citypage and Trovi whenever I used the search bar. I think I fixed that particular issue as Avast noticed and quarantined several files that have since been deleted, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome with successful results. As of writing this, I've done a Farbar Recovery scan with additional checked as well. This was done in Windows Recovery mode (Files attached below). I no longer see the Windows Process Manager, and my CPU and memory seem fine, but is there a way to know for certain that my laptop is clean?

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    78.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Addition.txt
    68 KB · Views: 1

Gloomyskye

Thread author
Dec 13, 2017
FarBar seemed to do the trick! A previous thread of yours helped guide me through the process though, so thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.