Windows Process Memory Usage Demystified

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Saw someone post this interesting yet very useful article on Wilders. Hence decided to share it here.

“How much memory is your process using?” — I bet you were asked that question, or asked it yourself, more times than you can remember. But what do you really mean by memory?

I never thought it would be hard to find a definitive resource for what the various memory usage counters mean for a Windows process. But try it: Google “Windows Task Manager memory columns” and you’ll see confusing, conflicting, inconsistent, unclear explanations of what the different metrics represent. If we can’t even agree on what “working set” or “commit size” means, how can we ever monitor our Windows applications successfully?

First, we will need a sample application that will allocate various kinds of memory for our experiments. I’ve written one for this blog post: it is simply called Memory. You can find it on GitHub. Currently, it supports multiple kinds of allocations: reserve, commit, shareable memory, and more. ....... (continue)

Reactions: Moose

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.