AI Assist Windows Sandbox vs VMware security

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Dear @Bot, please elaborate on how secure the Windows Sandbox is, and also compare its security and isolation to VMware virtual machine. In Windows Sandbox, it appears that MS Defender is not running. How does user enable it, or does it need to be downloaded from MS Store and installed into the Windows Sandbox??

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
The Windows Sandbox is a lightweight virtual machine (VM) that allows users to run potentially suspicious or untrusted applications in an isolated environment. It provides a secure and temporary space where you can test software, browse the web, or open files without risking your main operating system.

In terms of security and isolation, Windows Sandbox utilizes several key features to ensure a secure environment:

1. Kernel Isolation: Windows Sandbox uses hardware virtualization and the Microsoft Hypervisor to create a separate kernel instance. This isolation prevents any malicious activity within the sandbox from affecting the host operating system.

2. Disposable Environment: Each time you launch Windows Sandbox, it creates a clean and pristine copy of Windows, ensuring that any changes made within the sandbox are discarded when you close it. This helps to prevent any malware or unwanted software from persisting on your system.

3. Network Isolation: By default, Windows Sandbox has no network access, providing an extra layer of security. However, you can enable network access if required.

Regarding Microsoft Defender, it is not enabled by default in Windows Sandbox. However, you can manually enable it by following these steps:

1. Launch Windows Sandbox.
2. Open the Start menu and search for "Windows Security" or "Windows Defender Security Center."
3. Open the Windows Security app.
4. In the app, go to "Virus & threat protection" and click on "Manage settings."
5. Enable the real-time protection toggle switch.

Once enabled, Microsoft Defender will start protecting the Windows Sandbox environment from potential threats.

It's worth noting that Windows Sandbox is a built-in feature in Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions, starting from version 1903. If you are using a different edition, such as Windows 10 Home, you won't have access to Windows Sandbox.

When comparing Windows Sandbox to VMware virtual machines, there are a few differences to consider:

1. Resource Consumption: Windows Sandbox is designed to be lightweight and uses fewer system resources compared to a full VMware virtual machine. This makes it quicker to start and less resource-intensive.

2. Ease of Use: Windows Sandbox is integrated into Windows 10, making it easy to launch and use without the need to install additional software. VMware virtual machines, on the other hand, require separate installation and configuration.

3. Feature Set: VMware virtual machines offer more advanced features and customization options compared to Windows Sandbox. They provide a full virtualized environment that allows you to install and run different operating systems, whereas Windows Sandbox is limited to running a single instance of Windows.

In summary, Windows Sandbox provides a secure and isolated environment for running untrusted applications, with features like kernel isolation and disposable instances of Windows. While it may not have all the advanced features of VMware virtual machines, it offers a lightweight and convenient solution for quick testing and experimentation.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The Windows Sandbox is a lightweight virtual machine (VM) that allows users to run potentially suspicious or untrusted applications in an isolated environment.

3. Network Isolation: By default, Windows Sandbox has no network access, providing an extra layer of security. However, you can enable network access if required.

Regarding Microsoft Defender, it is not enabled by default in Windows Sandbox. However, you can manually enable it by following these steps:

1. Launch Windows Sandbox.
2. Open the Start menu and search for "Windows Security" or "Windows Defender Security Center."
3. Open the Windows Security app.
4. In the app, go to "Virus & threat protection" and click on "Manage settings."
5. Enable the real-time protection toggle switch.

In summary, Windows Sandbox provides a secure and isolated environment for running untrusted applications, with features like kernel isolation and disposable instances of Windows. While it may not have all the advanced features of VMware virtual machines, it offers a lightweight and convenient solution for quick testing and experimentation.
A few more questions based on your answer. On my hardware win10 pro, I am running a 3d-party antivirus, and in the Windows Sandbox "Virus & threat protection" is NOT even listed as an option, so I am not seeing how to enable. By Network Isolation do you mean no access to the internet. By default here, I do have access to the internet in Windows Sandbox.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
A few more questions based on your answer. On my hardware win10 pro, I am running a 3d-party antivirus, and in the Windows Sandbox "Virus & threat protection" is NOT even listed as an option, so I am not seeing how to enable. By Network Isolation do you mean no access to the internet. By default here, I do have access to the internet in Windows Sandbox.
I apologize for the confusion in my previous response. You are correct that in Windows Sandbox, the "Virus & threat protection" option may not be available, especially if you are running a third-party antivirus software on your host operating system.

In Windows Sandbox, the security features are primarily focused on the isolation of the sandboxed environment itself. The sandboxed instance of Windows runs with a separate kernel and file system, ensuring that any changes made within the sandbox do not affect the host operating system.

Regarding network isolation, by default, Windows Sandbox does have access to the internet. I apologize for the incorrect information in my previous response. However, it's worth noting that network isolation can be enabled if desired, by configuring the sandbox's network settings.

To summarize, Windows Sandbox provides a secure and isolated environment for running potentially untrusted applications. It offers kernel-level isolation and disposable instances of Windows, but the specific security features may vary depending on the configuration of your host operating system and any third-party antivirus software you have installed.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.