About custom security
NoVirusThanks systemhardener
Periodic malware scanners
Ksspersky Internet security
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox, Brave, Edge

Extensions: Firefox Multi-account containers, Windscribe extension, No Script, Ublock Origin, Norton Safe Web, Kaspersky
Maintenance tools
Rollback RX
File and Photo backup
pCloud sync & manual hard drive backups
System recovery
None
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
Intel i5, 8GB, 256 GB SSD, Fujitsu
Notable changes
None
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Any comments welcome-

(Perhaps some repetition on Ad blocking, what do you think ?) Some websites do struggle to work properly.

Any other remarks about privacy, security and malware protection welcome- I am always seeking ideas for improvements.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
You can set UAC to always notify to block UAC bypasses.
While I like and use VoodooShield, it's not needed with KIS.
Norton Safe Web is not needed with KIS and it's own extension.
You have No Script, uBlock Origin and AdGuard desktop.
Is AdGuard desktop not enough?
Multiple blockers make it harder to troubleshoot website issues.
uBlock origin can also block scripts in Medium mode if you want that kind of blocking:
Another form of Medium Mode is discussed here:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You can set UAC to always notify to block UAC bypasses.
While I like and use VoodooShield, it's not needed with KIS.
Norton Safe Web is not needed with KIS and it's own extension.
You have No Script, uBlock Origin and AdGuard desktop.
Is AdGuard desktop not enough?
Multiple blockers make it harder to troubleshoot website issues.
uBlock origin can also block scripts in Medium mode if you want that kind of blocking:
Another form of Medium Mode is discussed here:

Most definitely to all of the above, especially sort out and simplify your adblocker setup.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Hey thanks for these comments- they are noted and I will certainly review things in light of this (especially ad-blocking).

Here's some of my own questions and comments-

1. I normally use a 'standard user' account, but have an Admin account as well which I hardly ever log in to. If I install software in my everyday 'standard user' account then I am prompted to enter my admin password. Is this not sufficient protection ? If not, what do i need to do set up my UAC correctly ?

2. Do I really need a disk image solution when I synchronise my important files to a cloud service AND take monthly backups of my data on external hard disks ? If my system crashes I can just re-install Windows and re-load my data (either from my hard drives or the cloud). Its a bit of a nuisance but doesn't take THAT long- maybe a couple of hours.

3. I understand that Kaspersky with Trusted Application Mode may do a similar job to Voodooshield. However, is there any harm in keeping Voodoshield running as well ? Kaspersky is highly popular security software and there may be malware written to specifically bypass it. Whereas Voodoshield is pretty obscure and malware writers are unlikely to make provisions for it.

Thanks !

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I understand that Kaspersky with Trusted Application Mode may do a similar job to Voodooshield.

It's just simpler to let KIS do its job. @harlan4096 or other K users can help if you have setup questions. Either trust your software or don't use it.

VS is probably best for those who don't use a full AV suite, like myself.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Hey thanks for these comments- they are noted and I will certainly review things in light of this (especially ad-blocking).

Here's some of my own questions and comments-

1. I normally use a 'standard user' account, but have an Admin account as well which I hardly ever log in to. If I install software in my everyday 'standard user' account then I am prompted to enter my admin password. Is this not sufficient protection ? If not, what do i need to do set up my UAC correctly ?
Yes if you set UAC at max.
No, if UAC is at default, which is slightly better than nothing, but won't protect much.
Also, avoid install in SUA , if you have a dormant malware on SUA, it may use the elevation created by your installation to gain higher privileges.

2. Do I really need a disk image solution when I synchronise my important files to a cloud service AND take monthly backups of my data on external hard disks ? If my system crashes I can just re-install Windows and re-load my data (either from my hard drives or the cloud). Its a bit of a nuisance but doesn't take THAT long- maybe a couple of hours.
I rather do a 10mn restore of a clean install than a few hours new clean install.
Clean install should be done only when upgrading to a new Win10 build.

3. I understand that Kaspersky with Trusted Application Mode may do a similar job to Voodooshield. However, is there any harm in keeping Voodoshield running as well ? Kaspersky is highly popular security software and there may be malware written to specifically bypass it. Whereas Voodoshield is pretty obscure and malware writers are unlikely to make provisions for it.
What you are doing is like wearing a 2nd condom on top of another in case the first one breaks. If you don't trust Kaspersky, then just use VS only. VS won't add much more security to Kaspersky.
This is beginners belief that in security more is better. That is the opposite, "less but optimized" is better than "more".

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.