Windows Server 2019 Puts an Emphasis on SDN Security

L

Local Host

Software-defined networking (SDN) security is one of the top 10 networking features coming to Windows Server 2019, according to details shared by Microsoft this week.

SDN is a big part of Microsoft's product marketing for the forthcoming server release, despite the technology already being used in the current flagship Windows Server 2016 product. For instance, in its top-10 feature countdown list for Windows Server 2019, Microsoft earlier had suggested that SDN technology will enable so-called software-defined datacenters, which is considered to be another top networking feature.

This time, as its No. 4 top networking feature, Microsoft is emphasizing the new server's SDN security benefits, including automatic subnet encryption, improved firewall auditing, an expansion of access control lists (ACLs) to logical subnets, virtual network peering and IPv6 support.

Source: Windows Server 2019 Puts an Emphasis on SDN Security -- Redmond Channel Partner

Reactions: harlan4096
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It will be years and years until most firms upgrade to 2019. Server upgrades usually go like this -

Server 2008, R2, when is end of life on R2? 2020? Great, see you then! 2020 arrives, dang, time to upgrade, toss 2012 on there. Or let's be bold, and push them to Server 2016. I've actually NEVER run into any sufficiently sized firm that even bothers to push the latest Server editions for at least a couple years after it is out. There are all sorts of bad things that can happen, incredibly expensive costs to upgrade, dozens of VM's that have to be script rebuilt, licensing factors/cals, product compatibility issues. Heck we're seeing a LOT of programs that are 2008R2 compatible only even at this late stage. When billions of dollars are at stake and things are running smooth, setup, locked down and programs work the only core OS upgrades that any IT admin wants to see are after something goes EOL (or darn close). Talking about things before that can get you in big trouble.

Our metrics show a full 20% of firms are still on 2003 (EOL), and 52% are on 2008/R2. With a mere shard of the rest being on Linux/2012 and 2016.

L

Local Host

It will be years and years until most firms upgrade to 2019. Server upgrades usually go like this -

Server 2008, R2, when is end of life on R2? 2020? Great, see you then! 2020 arrives, dang, time to upgrade, toss 2012 on there. Or let's be bold, and push them to Server 2016. I've actually NEVER run into any sufficiently sized firm that even bothers to push the latest Server editions for at least a couple years after it is out. There are all sorts of bad things that can happen, incredibly expensive costs to upgrade, dozens of VM's that have to be script rebuilt, licensing factors/cals, product compatibility issues. Heck we're seeing a LOT of programs that are 2008R2 compatible only even at this late stage. When billions of dollars are at stake and things are running smooth, setup, locked down and programs work the only core OS upgrades that any IT admin wants to see are after something goes EOL (or darn close). Talking about things before that can get you in big trouble.

Our metrics show a full 20% of firms are still on 2003 (EOL), and 52% are on 2008/R2. With a mere shard of the rest being on Linux/2012 and 2016.
What's your point, this is clearly for companies that are always looking for the next big thing and new enterprises. Those with slow upgrade paths will upgrade if and when they feel like it (if at all), they have support in their current platforms until then.

This is Windows Server, not your normal Windows OS. It's installed on systems that manage whole networks and are rarely touched, outside updates, troubleshoot and management.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

This is Windows Server, not your normal Windows OS. It's installed on systems that manage whole networks and are rarely touched, outside updates, troubleshoot and management.

I'm pretty aware of Windows architectures, being a systems engineer and all of that. My point was, it will be a half a decade from now before the vast majority of firms consider Server 2019. I'm aware they manage whole networks - we call them roles (AD, DHCP, DNS, IPAM, FS, etc). Precisely the reason they are rarely touched is why the upgrade cycle is far far slower than microsofts release cycle.

I guess my point was - Microsoft does all of this for marketing, they know that 75% of their server footprint still don't even run Server 2012, much less Server 2016 and 2019 here she comes. It's all marketing fluff. It was sort of a bash of Microsoft to be honest.

L

Local Host

I'm pretty aware of Windows architectures, being a systems engineer and all of that. My point was, it will be a half a decade from now before the vast majority of firms consider Server 2019. I'm aware they manage whole networks - we call them roles (AD, DHCP, DNS, IPAM, FS, etc). Precisely the reason they are rarely touched is why the upgrade cycle is far far slower than microsofts release cycle.

I guess my point was - Microsoft does all of this for marketing, they know that 75% of their server footprint still don't even run Server 2012, much less Server 2016 and 2019 here she comes. It's all marketing fluff. It was sort of a bash of Microsoft to be honest.
Microsoft shouldn't stop evolving because of that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.