"Windows Update" freezes and won't open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
hello friends,

ever since i got to work on Windows 8/8.1, there have been various performance issues with it, unlike windows 7 which is just wonderful.

I have not altered any Windows Update settings. They are as it is.

Now there is a issue where "Windows Update" or any of options under it won't open. It just freezes on clicking any link related to Windows Update inside Control Panel.

Going to Change PC Settings>Windows Update also won't open and it would just keep processing (endless spinning circle of dots)

Control Panel too becomes unresponsive and only way to close it is by going to "Task Manager" and after ending the process, windows too become unresponsive for a few seconds.

I checked the contents of "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and the most recent folder created was on 28 June 2014 and none after this date.

I tried to follow the instructions on this page http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...es-under/8d98d924-b0b1-4f2b-bb4b-13f38126c588

but it came up with response as "Windows update cannot be stopped"; "access is denied".

What do you suggest?

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The most common reason for Windows Update problems is third-party security products.
I suggest disable or uninstall all third-party security products running in real-time, enable Windows Defender and reboot your system.
Run Windows Updates again and see if the problems still exists. If so then try running Windows Update Troubleshooter making sure that you have no third-party security products actively running.

Enjoy!! :D

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
@Littlebits : I forgot to mention that there is no AV or any third-party security products other than Windows Defender itself.

Also last time i checked (about two weeks before), there were 10 updates available for the MS Office and by this time they would have got installed on my system if everything was normal.

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
@Littlebits : ok i ran the troubleshooter you suggested and i have attached the result. Please have a look.

Attachments

• windows updtae troubleshooter.PNG
    windows updtae troubleshooter.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 2,774

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
@Littlebits : ok i ran the troubleshooter you suggested and i have attached the result. Please have a look.
Did you try rebooting your system and running the troubleshooter again?
Sometimes repairs require reboots in order to be effective.

Edit: did you get an error codes when running Windows Updates?

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: marg

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
Hello @Littlebits ,

I re-ran the Windows Update troubleshooter and after Restart, Windows Update seems to be working.

Will post back if anything unusual occur.

Reactions: Koroke San
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.