Windows Update - Group Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Local Host

With the latest Updates today on my Windows 10 machine, after it restarted I had a warning on my Windows Update saying some settings where changed by my organization.

This troubling considering I'm using the retail Windows 10 Core, and didn't mess with Regedit (Group Policy Settings).

This is all I got when I clicked on it,
Untitled.jpg

As the cautious user I am, I'm just trying to get more information on what exactly happened and if anyone else had this issue.

Right now my Windows Update no longer shows the warning, but still, wouldn't hurt to know what happened.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So now you guys really got me curious. I checked Windows updates, and it says HIDClass is pending install. And it said the same yesterday.
What in the world is a HIDClass update? If I installed one yesterday, why do I have another one today? And why didn't it appear in update history, after I installed it?

L

Local Host

So now you guys really got me curious. I checked Windows updates, and it says HIDClass is pending install. And it said the same yesterday.
What in the world is a HIDClass update? If I installed one yesterday, why do I have another one today? And why didn't it appear in update history, after I installed it?
That could be a driver Update, why it's not shown on Update History I don't know.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I found this about it, from Woody on Windows
:
The strange Surface — HIDClass 4/26/2018 12:00:00 AM — 3.3.206.0 driver
I’ve seen reports from many people who say they’re getting this bizarre Surface driver update, even though they don’t run, or have, or even want a Surface. Günter Born has tracked it down on his Borncity blog:
Currently strange things are happening on Windows systems again. Windows Update suddenly offers users a ‘Surface – HIDClass 4/26/2018 12:00:00 AM – 3.3.206.0’ driver update. Surface device owners will accepting this update. But owners of normal Windows desktop devices are amazed at least, because what is this driver update for?​
If you search the Internet for this device ID, you will find many websites that offer the driver for download. But that doesn’t get you anywhere. The best source is this GitHub address, which contains an extract from an .inf file.​
; itpcdless.inf​
; Driver for plug and play installations of USB Input Devices​
; Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.​
Ends up that the “Surface — HIDClass” driver is for Microsoft USB keyboards. It has nothing to do with Surface.
Lots of little Microsoft patches, but nothing for this month’s big bugs — and no Previews

Last edited:

I found this about it, from Woody on Windows
:
The strange Surface — HIDClass 4/26/2018 12:00:00 AM — 3.3.206.0 driver
I’ve seen reports from many people who say they’re getting this bizarre Surface driver update, even though they don’t run, or have, or even want a Surface. Günter Born has tracked it down on his Borncity blog:
Currently strange things are happening on Windows systems again. Windows Update suddenly offers users a ‘Surface – HIDClass 4/26/2018 12:00:00 AM – 3.3.206.0’ driver update. Surface device owners will accepting this update. But owners of normal Windows desktop devices are amazed at least, because what is this driver update for?​
If you search the Internet for this device ID, you will find many websites that offer the driver for download. But that doesn’t get you anywhere. The best source is this GitHub address, which contains an extract from an .inf file.​
; itpcdless.inf​
; Driver for plug and play installations of USB Input Devices​
; Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.​
Ends up that the “Surface — HIDClass” driver is for Microsoft USB keyboards. It has nothing to do with Surface.
Lots of little Microsoft patches, but nothing for this month’s big bugs — and no Previews

Probably another bug, just like Windows Insider Program updates were being installed on systems not enrolled in the Windows Insider Program.

HIDClass = Human Interface Device Class.

What's New in HID

"Today, HID devices include: alphanumeric displays, barcode readers, volume controls on speakers/headsets, auxiliary displays, sensors, and MRI’s (yes, in hospitals). In addition, many hardware vendors use HID for their proprietary devices."

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Probably another bug, just like Windows Insider Program updates were being installed on systems not enrolled in the Windows Insider Program.

HIDClass = Human Interface Device Class.

What's New in HID

"Today, HID devices include: alphanumeric displays, barcode readers, volume controls on speakers/headsets, auxiliary displays, sensors, and MRI’s (yes, in hospitals). In addition, many hardware vendors use HID for their proprietary devices."
Actually, it makes sense that I got this HID update, because I have a Microsoft keyboard, and it is connected by USB dongle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.