Troubleshoot Windows Update x Svchost 100% :(

motta

Thread author
Dec 22, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
crashes and constant lags
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
formatted the computer
windows update, occupies 100% of my CPU. Making my computer unstable in the extreme. I thought it was virus ... etc. But it is not, considering that my log was analyzed by TwinHeadedEagle (User forum). The process in question is in svchost.exe.
nRwqufT.png
NcsZAIS.png

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Hello friend follow these instructions.

Home

Search programs make services.

Search Windows Update, right click stop.

If you want to disable completely, right click Properties startup type to disabled.

Test to see if your problem is resolved.

11j0vn6.png

Reactions: upnorth
Upvote 0
L

LabZero

The cause is probably attributable to Windows Update that with the release of Win 10, forcing users to endure an additional download of several GBs, plus the servers are saturated by constant requests for updates to the new OS, this certainly does not help the installation procedures. If you see the Win10 icon in the tray bar the reason is that.

Then you should set these configurations ... without thinking about it for several hours:

1) configure power plans so that your computer does not shut down ever, just set the screen-off.
2) configure updates and leaves the user choose whether to install them.
3) wait the results of the search and start the installation.
4) check and restart the machine if required.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
The problem could have two causes. Your CPU is too old to handle new Microsoft Update mechanisms or tunneling is taking a lot of resources.
In the past there were more than those two causes but Microsoft has fixed them through Windows Update (old Windows Update Agent) in most cases, except those two that's still happening to some of users.
If your CPU is older (single core) then you'll need an upgrade or Disable Automatic Updates and run them manually from time to time.
Second, try disabling IPv6, check this link and be careful with steps > https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852

Upvote 0

motta

Thread author
Dec 22, 2015
Hello friend follow these instructions.

Home

Search programs make services.

Search Windows Update, right click stop.

If you want to disable completely, right click Properties startup type to disabled.

Test to see if your problem is resolved.

11j0vn6.png
disable windows update, the process returns to normal. But I'm not against starting update

Upvote 0

motta

Thread author
Dec 22, 2015
The cause is probably attributable to Windows Update that with the release of Win 10, forcing users to endure an additional download of several GBs, plus the servers are saturated by constant requests for updates to the new OS, this certainly does not help the installation procedures. If you see the Win10 icon in the tray bar the reason is that.

Then you should set these configurations ... without thinking about it for several hours:

1) configure power plans so that your computer does not shut down ever, just set the screen-off.
2) configure updates and leaves the user choose whether to install them.
3) wait the results of the search and start the installation.
4) check and restart the machine if required.

procedures you pointed out, are already part of my life ... :(
and not getting positive results.

Upvote 0

motta

Thread author
Dec 22, 2015
The problem could have two causes. Your CPU is too old to handle new Microsoft Update mechanisms or tunneling is taking a lot of resources.
In the past there were more than those two causes but Microsoft has fixed them through Windows Update (old Windows Update Agent) in most cases, except those two that's still happening to some of users.
If your CPU is older (single core) then you'll need an upgrade or Disable Automatic Updates and run them manually from time to time.
Second, try disabling IPv6, check this link and be careful with steps > https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852

My processor is an Athlon 64 X2 5200+ AMD, with 4gb ram. IPv6 has been disabled by following its guidelines and did not help. Q Does the windows 10 also have this problem?how do I update OFF my windows? Because right now I'm not the problem because I disable windows update.But I would like to upgrade the windows ...

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Another possible culprit is large amount of logs on event viewer besides of Windows Updates mechanism where it needs a refresh operation for svchost.

See more

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.