Solved Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
To whoever wants to try answering this:

Windows by install CANNOT identify every piece of hardware that exist on planet earth, hence the generic driver solution, BUT generic driver != optimized driver, hence Windows Update is to find a more appropriate_specific_oriented driver for some of the hardware parts, BUT even Windows8 FAIL to do so.

Conlusion:

a) Some devices are being declared from Windows 8 as "unknown" (they can't even identify the device itself now? let alone the driver.....)
b) Some devices which are declared by Windows 8 as "known", do NOT have a required driver at all (even generic?)
c) Some devices are being declared by Windows 8 Device Management as "known" and "driver installed (unfortunately generic though, not optimized, hence by BroadCom's wi-fi issue)

P

Plexx

Nikos said:
To whoever wants to try answering this:

Windows by install CANNOT identify every piece of hardware that exist on planet earth, hence the generic driver solution, BUT generic driver != optimized driver, hence Windows Update is to find a more appropriate_specific_oriented driver for some of the hardware parts, BUT even Windows8 FAIL to do so.

Conlusion:

a) Some devices are being declared from Windows 8 as "unknown" (they can't even identify the device itself now? let alone the driver.....)
b) Some devices which are declared by Windows 8 as "known", do NOT have a required driver at all (even generic?)
c) Some devices are being declared by Windows 8 Device Management as "known" and "driver installed (unfortunately generic though, not optimized, hence by BroadCom's wi-fi issue)

This has already been addressed on your other thread that has been closed. Why do you still believe that Windows updates priority is hardware drivers update?

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Because in Device Management they have an option to "Seach the internet for a device driver" and they never ever find any.

I still have a device undetected, if they can even identify the device how would they be able to detect the device's driver?

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Nikos said:
Because in Device Management they have an option to "Seach the internet for a device driver" and they never ever find any.

I still have a device undetected, if they can even identify the device how would they be able to detect the device's driver?

Device Manager only searches Microsoft database for drivers, it doesn't search the complete internet. It is impossible for Microsoft to have every third-party vendors updated drivers on hand.

Go to your OEM website if Windows is OEM.
If not then go to your motherboard's support website and get the drivers there.

If you have any external devices not originally included with your motherboard or OEM Windows then you will need to go to those vendor support websites to get your drivers.

Enjoy!!:D

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Littlebits said:
Nikos said:

Device Manager only searches Microsoft database for drivers, it doesn't search the complete internet. It is impossible for Microsoft to have every third-party vendors updated drivers on hand.

If you have any external devices not originally included with your motherboard or OEM Windows then you will need to go to those vendor support websites to get your drivers.

The devices are originated from my motherboard, its not that i have connected somehtign external.

As fot the other questions how do i i know if my Windows is OEM?

What is OEM?

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Nikos said:
Littlebits said:
Nikos said:

a) Why do we have to use 3rd party driver update software to do the job Windows Update should have done in the 1st place?

b) The devices are originated from my motherboard, its not that i have connected somethign external.

As fot the other questions how do i i know if my Windows is OEM?

What is OEM?

c) if not OEM why you say i should look into my mobo's site?
Why not look into Lenovo's manufaturer site isntead?

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
OEM = Original equipment manufacturer- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer

If Windows was already installed on your computer when you bought it then it has an OEM version of Windows. Examples; HP, Dell, Compaq, Apple, Gateway, Lenovo, IBM, ASUS, Intel, eMachines, etc.

If you bought a Windows CD and installed it to yourself then it is NOT an OEM version of Windows.

It is NOT the responsibility of Microsoft to provide third-party drivers, that is the responsibility of your OEM vendor or the vendor of your devices.

Microsoft only provides Generic Drivers to give third-party devices basic functions. By law Microsoft can NOT provide third-party drives, it is a license issue. Just like they can not pre-install codec packs for Windows Media Player.

If your computer has an Lenovo OEM version of Windows then Lenovo should provide the drivers that you need.

Thanks.:D

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Thank you.

My Lenovo was installed on my laptop when i bought it but then i wiped the disk clean with GParted and lost everything, reformatted and re-installed.

a) So i did had an OEM version of Windows. That meant that i had actually paid for Windows to have them preinstalled when i bought my laptop?

b) But was this version any different from what i have now??
I had Win8 Pro x64 and i have Win8 Pro x4 after the install. UEFI based install both.

c) understood that MS cannot provide drivers. But it suprises me that for some hardware parts 8 cannot even detect the device itself! They say "unknown device"

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Nikos said:
Thank you.

My Lenovo was installed on my laptop when i bought it but then i wiped the disk clean with GParted and lost everything, reformatted and re-installed.

a) So i did had an OEM version of Windows. That meant that i had actually paid for Windows to have them preinstalled when i bought my laptop?

b) But was this version any different from what i have now??
I had Win8 Pro x64 and i have Win8 Pro x4 after the install. UEFI based install both.

c) understood that MS cannot provide drivers. But it suprises me that for some hardware parts 8 cannot even detect the device itself! They say "unknown device"

When you buy a laptop that has the OS installed, you have paid for the OS and that is why in 90% of the cases you have a recovery partition, since DISKS of OS and Drivers are not provided, unless you pay extra for it (I did for my Dell and Toshiba). However it becomes solely the user responsibility when he/she wipes the recovery partition. Any seller will simply provide you the drivers. If your computer is still with warranty, you could try sending it back for them to re-fix but most likely it will cost money. They should have listed what is covered and what is not covered in the warranty terms and conditions.

Its the same if you send it to a repair shop to change something, you void the warranty, so you might want to check its terms and conditions when it comes to Partition Wipe.

What you had was not an OEM version but a unique version. OEM will not ask for any key upon install and you can install in several systems. You rarely see in Europe companies shipping with OEM. And even if it is, there are bound to have some limitations somewhere.

So moral of the story: If you have warranty available: don't wipe partition which has recovery option. Unless you have the disk provided (which mostly likely you would have to pay).

If you still have warranty, just check with your seller if anything can be done and stop adventuring on stuff you are not even sure what they are.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.