Windows Vista or 7 on old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareFire

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
My computer is old, is the time of windows vista out. Then my computer is compatible with vista or 7 ? Like whos more fast for my computer?

D

Deleted member 21043

You can upgrade to Windows 7. In fact, if you wanted too, Windows 8 will work too (8.1).

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Personally I would switch to Windows 7 or even consider Windows 8.I would also consider a 64 Bit version if you don't already use one.

The Minimum Requirements You need To Run Windows 7
1) 1GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
2) 1GB of main memory
3) 16GB of available disk space
4) Support for DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory (for the Aero interface)
5) A DVD – R/W drive

Windows 8: system requirements
1)Processor: 1GHz or faster
2)RAM: 1GB (32bit) or 2GB (64bit)
3)Hard disk space: 16GB (32bit) or 20GB (64bit)
4)Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device or higher

Your PC specs meet the requirements for both operating systems

You can also make Windows 7 run faster by disabling some features such as disabling Aero theme,disable Windows 7 sidebar,disabling Aero peek & snap features as well as some other windows 7 visual effects.
One thing you dont want to disable is UAC however there are some services you can set to manual or disable if you dont require them for whatever you are doing on your PC.

Windows 9 is right around the corner also. One thing to consider is if you are going to shell out $ for an OS upgrade,and it is within your budget,there are many new PC's for around $400-$600.You can kill 2 birds with one stone and Upgrade both PC & OS at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahadian Putra

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I think Windows 7. Vista sucked big time.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Anything newer than Vista will be better. Windows 8.1 would be the best choice for now, but you must reassure that there is no incompatibility. It uses ram more efficiently than Windows 7. Otherwise, Windows 7, but not Vista.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
MalwareFire, everyone's experience can be slightly (or a lot) different, but I'd choose Windows 7 SP 1 for you while also strongly recommending the Home Premium Edition we use on our Sony lap top!:):) In our situation it even out performs our newer 8.1 update 1 on our Acer with more RAM on an I5 Core system.:cool: This may have been due to compatibility issues as it was originally 8!:confused:;) :p

That said, ..and just a bit off subject from Windows,:rolleyes: after you've successfully installed your new OS along side your older hardware, you might try a linux distribution such as lubuntu or LXLE, an "out of the box" spin of lubuntu we may replace our XP with.o_O It's not only faster, safer, and runs like our old XP used to do when it was new, it does it with the older hardware I thought was finished, since it only has:eek: 1 GB RAM!
Have fun, and good luck, my friend.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.