Advice Request Windows XP 2002 vs. Windows 7

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I am looking to eventually switch if I purchase a new PC. What does 7 have that XP does not? Or what will 7 do that XP won't?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well the obvious one is that it has UAC :) and better support for games and what not.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
win 7 has a better security and lesser exploits than XP :p
there are other lot of small improvements in usability which taken together gets huge :D

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
In other words, those of us that don't game, and that don't have little kiddies running around could do fine with XP except for not being able to come up with our own patches in 2014?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Because it's time to move on. Why? Because XP is ancient. Thanks. Just kidding with you ZOU.

I CBA to find all the good reasons to upgrade but I'll list some of what I can think off the top of my head.

- Better Hardware Support
- Automatically installed device software
- Better stability, security and performance overall.
- Better useability and easier to get every day tasks done thanks to the improved and more efficient Windows Explorer which makes getting around Windows quicker and easier.

Coming up with your own patches/community patches? And just how reliable and trustworthy will that be? Better things to spend your time on.
Let Microsoft make the updates and deliver them automatically to your PC.

Sir Ancient: "I don't care if my car is over a decade old, doesn't have airbags, a 5 star safety rating, improved seatbelts, improved fuel consumption and a quieter engine and all that other "good" stuff you mentioned that makes your car more efficient than mine..."
Sir Ancient: "I... I don't crash alot so airbags ain't needed, 1 star, 5 star, 100 star, I don't care..., Pfft seat belts I ain't need them, I can always make my own, Yeah so what if your car has better fuel consumption and gives better performance, ALSO I ACTUALLY ENJOY MY LOUD ENGINE!, So tell me again Bob? Why should I get a newer model car?
Bob: :rolleyes: It's like talking to a wall. Good bye!

(Later that day, Sir Ancient crashed into a tree and because he didn't have a 5 star safety rating, airbags and a proper working seat belt, He sadly ended up badly injured, When he got out of MicroHospital, He was advised to get a newer model car and that he did. The end.)

(Yes I exaggerated)(Yes that story was made off the top of my head)(ZOU please don't hurt me ha)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
The main difference between XP and Windows 7 and Vista comes in terms of the rewritten NT kernel. Better memory management and lesser leaks and attacks thanks to the secure infrastructure and UAC and NAP.
Now most of the things you go to know but there is some left.
1- Forget any microsoft apps for XP. Even Office 2013 does not support XP
Adobe has dropped support for XP.
2-Its old and ancient and slowly companies will move away from XP development as Win7 and Win8 are gaining traction.
3-Also the new graphics driver model in Vista and abovel ets browsers use hardware acceleration. With the ongoing advent of HTML5, the older software accelerated technology cant keep up.

On a side note why dont you purchase Windows 8? It is available just for 39.99 dollars and its best to grab it. To quell all the blame put on Windows 8 why dont u just take a look at this article where I narrated my Windows 8 experience. http://geekytrix.com/Thread-Is-Windows-8-worth-the-critcism-and-worth-the-upgrade

My best suggestion bro is get Windows 8 and feel the change :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
ZOU1 said:
I am looking to eventually switch if I purchase a new PC. What does 7 have that XP does not? Or what will 7 do that XP won't?
Windows 7 it's faster,looks better and will increase your overall security....And don't forget that the new system have at least 3GB of RAM (and that's the worst case) and a lot of other high-end specs , so you'll need to run at least Windows 7 x64.
Anyway, all the new laptops or desktops come with Windows 7 or 8 pre-installed so I don't think you'll have the option to stick with XP.

TIP: You can use your XP license to setup a VMWARE Workstation...

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I found it hard to switch from xp to win 7 when it came out.I had win 7 on a dual boot with xp but found myself always using xp and just playing around with win 7.Much like I am now with win 7 and win 8 dual boot on my laptop...lol.Once I made the switch I realized what a better system it is for many of the same reasons already posted.I still have that xp on my desktop...lol...but havent booted it in a long time.Im still on the fence about win8 and not ready to switch but I am going to check out malbky's post.I would take at look at it and at least consider win8 for a new machine

P

Plexx

I only switched from XP to Windows 7 when I got this laptop. Until then I was still a happy gamer on XP but with occasional issues on some software, crashes, tweaking services and what not.

Windows 7 is far more stable than vista (yes you can basically consider the following line up: Windows 98--Windows NT/2000--Windows XP--Windows 7--Windows 8) (ME and Vista are basically more failures than anything positive).

I still have XP but this time on XP Mode to run some older games that have problem running on Windows 7.

On the contrary as you might think, not all gamers have made the switch to Windows 7 and quite some are still on XP for the solely reason some games dont run properly on Windows 7 (hardcore gamers).

Withing the gamers community you have those who can easily afford a high end card with DX11 support, then you need windows 7.

Gamers who have a mid end system, can easily pull off newer games on XP but not maxed graphics. I myself never max the graphic settings due to failing to see the need to have such beautiful scenarios and foreground etc when I am enjoying the actual game play.

Edit:
If you are not a gamer and only use the internet for browsing and whatnot, you can use this: Linux distros focused on simplicity (Linux Mint, Ubuntu and its sub distros, Peppermint, Zorin, Fusion Linux).

You could also get away with this: ReactOS ( http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html )

Offtopic: Like if you type exactly this address: http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html)

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I have not dream to see this thread at MT, I always thought there will be windows 7 or 8 kaspersky or avast but i never thought of xp iat end of year 2012 :p

Anyway the above suggestion are very good specially of Jack about using xp on VM

Thanks

P

Plexx

On a side note, does anyone know if setting up ReactOS, what settings would you choose in VMware/VirtualBox?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's very basic, try Windows XP settings. Remembers it's Alpha so it may not even work, but it's been that way for many many years, as far as I know.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Because it's time to move on. Why? Because XP is ancient.

Hahaha. Joke is on me. LOL

Great responses everyone! Thanks for the rapid feedback!

Sir Ancient: "I don't care if my car is over a decade old, doesn't have airbags, a 5 star safety rating, improved seatbelts, improved fuel consumption and a quieter engine and all that other "good" stuff you mentioned that makes your car more efficient than mine..."
Sir Ancient: "I... I don't crash alot so airbags ain't needed, 1 star, 5 star, 100 star, I don't care..., Pfft seat belts I ain't need them, I can always make my own, Yeah so what if your car has better fuel consumption and gives better performance, ALSO I ACTUALLY ENJOY MY LOUD ENGINE!, So tell me again Bob? Why should I get a newer model car?
Bob: Rolleyes It's like talking to a wall. Good bye!

(Later that day, Sir Ancient crashed into a tree and because he didn't have a 5 star safety rating, airbags and a proper working seat belt, He sadly ended up badly injured, When he got out of MicroHospital, He was advised to get a newer model car and that he did. The end.)

(Yes I exaggerated)(Yes that story was made off the top of my head)(ZOU please don't hurt me ha)

Man! You really rub it in Down Under, don't you?! Laughing hard.......

Next thing you know you will be calling me "Yank".

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Those are funny guys down there. I kept my posts serious to match the mettle of my current state. Exams are on.
They just got over today so I am getting in the mood to joke.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
MrXidus said:
Because it's time to move on. Why? Because XP is ancient. Thanks. Just kidding with you ZOU.

I CBA to find all the good reasons to upgrade but I'll list some of what I can think off the top of my head.

- Better Hardware Support
- Automatically installed device software
- Better stability, security and performance overall.
- Better useability and easier to get every day tasks done thanks to the improved and more efficient Windows Explorer which makes getting around Windows quicker and easier.

Coming up with your own patches/community patches? And just how reliable and trustworthy will that be? Better things to spend your time on.
Let Microsoft make the updates and deliver them automatically to your PC.

Bob: :rolleyes: It's like talking to a wall. Good bye!

Have you been raiding your parents liqueur cabinet again??

Windows 7 is superior to Windows XP in every conceivable metric.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
MetalShaun said:
MrXidus said:
Have you been raiding your parents liqueur cabinet again??

Nah, the Bottle-O shop is just a 5 minute walk down the road from me, Picked myself up some cans of Woodstock & Cola, Anyways my point is I wasn't drinking when I wrote that. Thanks.

ComodoRulz

Aug 29, 2012
Earth said:
It's very basic, try Windows XP settings. Remembers it's Alpha so it may not even work, but it's been that way for many many years, as far as I know.

Are you able to use custom themes in this react os?​

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Obviously Windows 7 have better generation improvements than XP.

Thumb of the rule that latest version have better at all than the older version but its depend on the user on how he/she wants to stick on.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Off-Topic:

I didn't try, I only used it for a few minute in a VM environment.

ComodoRulz said:
Are you able to use custom themes in this react os?

P

Plexx

ComodoRulz said:
Are you able to use custom themes in this react os?
[/quote]

Yes you can use themes on ReactOS but to be honest the only reason I have now ReactOS on an old machine is due to its hardware, so its mainly for some gaming and testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.