Troubleshoot Windows XP clean installed (Partition error)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Old software needs upgrading to SP2 and 3 to work with most windows software.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Some backup notes and use of recovery.
I was trying to create an Image backup... failed. :( Had to start back to the begining, tinkering with partition messed up drivers. but my datas mostly safe on disc, no loss there.

I cannot afford a new windows OS or PC, at least for like 5 months but no more partitions for XP doesnt work well. I'm not good enuff to make that work. :\

Okay what I need is advice on what steps I should do first?

First,
Should i establish connection to internet?
Should i uninstall programs?
Go immediately to SP2 and 3? (have both on usb stick)
Get rid of norton trial? ( is there a free norton removal tool? )
upgrade framework? (gonna need help with this)

I think a good move to get on SP2... so most help programs like malwarebytes can install scan or offer a bit of protection while i re-build.

What you smart guys think, dont wanna make mistakes... but i learn from them.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
First I would uninstall Norton. Use the clean removal tool when you get a chance, perhaps after you're online. Then I would uninstall what you don't want. Then SP3, which adds some nice networking capability. Then do system updates. Make restore points liberally in case something goes wrong. I do all updating without an AV on the machine.

Reactions: JakeXPMan
Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
What software did you tried to make a backup with, and did you tried from Windows or outside of it (for bootable CD/USB) ?

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
lol, very confused discussion I must say :D
Well, I can add my suggestions :
  • Do resizing, merging, shrinking of partitions before you install OS on them, this is especially important if you are going to resize system partitions. It's always risky to operate system partition(s) from inside a Windows.
  • Check if your HDD has any alignment errors, any MBR malformations and surface errors before creating a backup
  • Do a backup only after you have installed Windows, updated it, and installed all the necessary programs you need, clean the Windows from junk files and defragment it.
  • I always recommend members to create system backups (imaging) from outside of Windows. It's safer and faster.
  • I always recommend members to do just that from Hirens Boot CD.
  • And, I must suggest you to abandon Windows XP. If you are hardware limited, you can try some lightweight Linux, like Lubuntu
Here's a tutorial I made some time ago, it's not the best but I think it can help you
[GALLERY=media, 95]How to do BackUp & Restore system partition in Hiren's Boot CD - YouTube by BoraMurdar posted Jun 12, 2014 at 10:39 PM[/GALLERY]

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Okay what I need is advice on what steps I should do first?

First,
Should i establish connection to internet?
Should i uninstall programs?
Go immediately to SP2 and 3? (have both on usb stick)
Get rid of norton trial? ( is there a free norton removal tool? )
upgrade framework? (gonna need help with this)

Upgrade to SP3 and install other updates that you can retrieve as much as possible since there's no longer security updates to be delivered.

For framework well you may do it or not as basically most installers will ask you to download in order the program work.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi ! It's been awhile sense I've ran XP. XP is no longer supported so this might not work any more, but it use to??
"If your windows if Genuine copy don't worry install all of the updates. After few updates your XP will be promoted to SP3 from SP2."

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Progress so far,

~Restore Point~
+Norton Removed Easily
~Restore Point~
+Start Up Items Disabled
~Restore Point~
+SP1 Upgraded onto SP2
~Restore Point~

Next: SP3

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
There you go! Get-er-Done friend! Would be nice if you could make a backup image at this point.
Good luck Jake!;)

Thanks guy!

Back up is System Restore, and DVD's... If something goes wrong system recovery on the external D drive can save it.

If Windows XP gets virus/malware infested. It's Lubuntu time. :D

Reactions: BoraMurdar
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks guy!

Back up is System Restore, and DVD's... If something goes wrong system recovery on the external D drive can save it.

If Windows XP gets virus/malware infested. It's Lubuntu time. :D
I like your attitude! Hope I have helped you some where along our great venture. Always learn and then pass it forward.
If you can recover from all you been through, you will be my hero!;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I like your attitude! Hope I have helped you some where along our great venture. Always learn and then pass it forward.
If you can recover from all you been through, you will be my hero!;)

hero?! aw 'ur killin me buddy. :D well you're the cool tech dad i always wanted, hehe ;)
This computer stuff is facinating,... and my strong points are tips, free-ware, windows settings etc.
Just the inner workings of a computer I don't understand them much at all, but there's time to grow, at least a bit lol.

My feeling now is, life itself is more important that possesions and money, so if this PC explodes, so be it... (i slept okay after the crash) as long as I have me and my inner anti-virus working, that is what matters most. There's always a chance to get a PC, but not a whole new body.

Okay,
More progress,
~System Restore point~
Well, Service Pack 3 installed without a hitch...! (added a patch before installing) KB932823-v3-x86

Next: IE 8 w/ a patch

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
;););) Are you sure your ready for IE8. I don't remember if that works on XP. Give it a go!!
You really can't find a lot on Google about XP any more. It's all old stuff. Go for it!!
PS I was a tech on another well know forum, my friend, but they said I was to friendly and to windy, so I'm no longer welcome there. Does it look like I care if I'm not welcome there any more (NO):rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
;););) Are you sure your ready for IE8. I don't remember if that works on XP. Give it a go!!
You really can't find a lot on Google about XP any more. It's all old stuff. Go for it!!

lol im familar with it... i won't use IE, as its not as secure as Firefox etc... so I will be using another browser, but IE8 is better then 6 or 7 which is on there now. So why not at least make it updated as much as it can be

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Firefox is my choice! You need IE for Windows up dates; which you will no longer get, because XP is no longer supported.
Get all the up dates you can get!;) I agree!

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
yup Windows XP is passed sellby date, its spoiled but just don;t drink it.

i think some updates can be installed, just a question of finding them, and Firefox is my choice too!

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Off-Topic posts removed. Please do not attempt to hijack threads.

Could it be hardware-related, check your HDD? 2005-era makes your PC almost a decade old.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Off-Topic posts removed. Please do not attempt to hijack threads.

Could it be hardware-related, check your HDD? 2005-era makes your PC almost a decade old.

It could be, I think it's more the partition location, it's risky on the C drive, or with XP being an older OS.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.