Troubleshoot Windows XP/ When restarting computer, get blue screen that says, checking file system on E: the typ

NARENDRA

Thread author
Dec 21, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
always BSOD first and than have to press any key to start windows
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
no steps taken
Windows XP/ When restarting computer, get blue screen that says, checking file system on E: the type of file system is NTFS. One of your discs needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disc check, but it is strongly recommended. When allowing to proceed, freezes on (Stage 1 of 3) File record segment ----------------.
Then i click on any key and then the PC starts but is very slow. After 2 minutes the page or any clicked document stops loading and than again after few minutes it starts.
The CPU red light is most of the time constant instead of blinking.
I have scanned with antivirus but doesn't show any virus or malware.
There are 3 partition in my hard disk C,D,E
If i click on the E drive it takes 15 just to respond.And again if I click it will take 15 minutes more.
C and D drive is responding properly.
There is problem with Drive E. CAN ANYONE OFFER SOLUTION TO ME AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.

M

MalwareT

Capture the picture of BSOD with your phone and post it here to determine what causes BSOD (i'm an computer technician for long time (5 years) and i know a lot about BSODs). As @jamescv7 suggested, download and install BlueScreenView and post pictures of dump (right-click properties).

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
The first thing to do is back up your personal data, in case the drive is failing. I probably would pull the drive and run chkdsk /f /r on it on another machine, or you could use the Windows Recovery disk in the original machine to do the same thing (the partition letters will be changed though, so you'll have to poke around to find the right drive). But don't do a /r until your data is backed up because it can be destructive. In fact, I would image the whole drive for an easy transition should it be necessary.

Also, I've never seen an active BSOD. This sounds like a more routine error message.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
IMHO Your HD is getting ready to bite the dust. I would back up any important data immediately as advised by other members.
Also XP is no longer supported and you really need to seriously think about up grading your system.
If your planning on using the internet, you will no longer receive patches from Micros$$t, and that is not a good thing.
Also where is the CPU red light???

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi there @NARENDRA,

Please could you take a picture (if you have any mobile devices) of this Blue Screen of Death and post it here, and follow @jamescv7 suggestion so we can get some sort of idea to why you are getting these BSOD crashes.

Could you let us know the error message/s provided in the BSOD?

From there on after we have identified the issue and source of the problem, we can start to move on by helping you fix this solution. :)

Thanks.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi! BSOD can be caused by failing HD's and many other things. I really doubt if a BSOD error code will tell us much.
The OP is getting the message that his HD needs to be checked, but the chkdsk fails to complete checking.
You might try chkdsk from the command prompt.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265#method1
True, however the error message can help in some cases... Depending on the situation.
For example, on Windows 10 Technical Preview (had it on Windows 8.1 too, especially with some malware) a system critical process could be killed and the error message in the BSOD would be CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. This would tell us that a critical process has died, and then start the process of figuring out why and how to fix it (could be malware or a bug in OS my Windows 10 TP had).

@NARENDRA There is a possibility your drive is just damaged. It's unlucky.

How long did you leave chkdsk running, out of interest? I have previously had chkdsk running, thought it was "hanging" but after leaving it, it finished completing. It could be due to corruption, on the other hand... I recommend you backup the data on the E: drive (and any other "unresponsive" drives) somewhere.

EDIT: You mentioned you used a Antivirus to perform a scan. Which Antivirus product did you use? I recommend you have a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-malware (download free and run a scan), Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Hitman Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I have had chkdsk run for over 2 hours if all 5 stages are scheduled to run. I would leave it run as @kram7750 suggests, and see it it will complete.
How old is your computer?? I'm also wondering what you have on the E partition and if you can run a chkdsk on the C partition which is normally where windows runs. You say you have scanned for malware, so I assume you are able to boot into windows. You have had several suggestions by MT members and you have not made one reply. Do you still need MT help??

Hi I like seatools for testing HD's. It's my choice. There are others. Some already mentioned in this thread!
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/170511en?language=en_US
SeaTools for Windows
SeaTools for Windows tests SATA, USB, 1394, ATA (PATA/IDE) and SCSI drives. It installs onto your system. SeaTools for Windows is completely data safe. If the drive passes SeaTools for Windows, your troubleshooting can move to other areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
My brother had a very similiar problem with a VERY slow boot, maybe an error screen, so slow on desktop and general PC functions... I scanned and removed malware, did clean ups but didn't help. The only cure was, I used one of his registry back ups that we made a couple months back, and it fixed 100%. All was back to normal.

If you have backed up the registry, try using the back up. :)

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
[
I TRIED UPLOADING THE SNAP OF MY BSOD SCREEN BUT i GET THE MESSAGE THAT THE FILE IS TOO LARGE.WHAT TO DO NOW?
Did you try using the upload option here and select thumbnail instead of full image? Alternatively you can upload it to a site like TinyPic and post the URL here

Reactions: jamescv7
Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
before going on you should let chkdsk run on that hard drive it could help

open the command prompt by going to run then type CMD

when the command prompt opens type chkdsk e: /r /f <---- notice the space's in between
(chkdsk"space"e:"space"/r"space"/f)

checkdsk can take HOURS to run DO NOT STOP IT i'v seen it take upto 5hours or more to run

after it runs it should say what it fixed and make a log in the event viewer also

Once Event Viewer is open, select Application
The 4th column of information in the right-hand pane is titled Source , click on the word Source at the top of the column to sort by that column Scroll through the Source column to find the most recent entry titled Winlogon
Double-click Winlogon to open the CHKDSK results

sometimes it takes more than onetime to run chkdsk to fix things and it can take overnite

:)

James

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
[
I TRIED UPLOADING THE SNAP OF MY BSOD SCREEN BUT i GET THE MESSAGE THAT THE FILE IS TOO LARGE.WHAT TO DO NOW?

Did you run the tool of BlueScreenView? And followed the other suggestions? What are the progress of the problem now? :)

I think you do it directly here for uploading, try the other way mentioned by @exterminator20.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! IMHO! If you have bad sectors ect, you are going to get a BSOD. Unless you can run a chkdsk and fix the bad sectors, you will keep getting a BSOD. A dump file might help identifying this as a hardware problem???? These are my thoughts
I will now bow out and watch.;)
Possible cause of system crashes and resets: disk errors

Run the CHKDSK utility on your system partition to check your disk for inconsistencies and hardware errors. Faulty hard disks can be the cause of all sorts of system crashes, memory corruption and more.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.