Advanced Plus Security Windows_Security (linux Lite :-) PC configuration for 2019

Last updated
Jan 4, 2019
Windows Edition
I am not running Windows
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Real-time security
AppArmor - LibreOffice
FireJail - Chromium, Chrome (only for NetFlix) and VLC media player
Firewall security
About custom security
See thread https://malwaretips.com/threads/my-linux-lite-setup-to-replace-old-windows-systems.89025/
with this difference that I removed Firefox and added Chrome (with scripts blocked and only allowed) for NetFlix.com

Chrome flag "Block unsafe downloads over insecure connections" prevents downloading executables over HTTP connections (effectively blocks 99,99% of the malware drive by downloads listed in VX-Vault, Malc0de, etc). ALso using Chrome's content management to block scripts in HTTP domains.
Periodic malware scanners
Clam AV on demand
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chromium - incognito with Bruce's Blank New Tab, Smart AdBlocker and Privacy Possum
Chrome - ScriptDefender blocking scripts, iframes and plugins for all except netflix.com
Maintenance tools
TimeShift to create restore points.
Lite Tweaks to clean and optimize Linux Lite
File and Photo backup
NAS & disconnected USB drive
System recovery
USB drive
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Linux Lite - Lenovo Thinkpad 15"0301 with intel Celeron P4600 - 4GB RAM and Seagate hybrid 250 GB HD
Windows 10 Pro - i720 wih intl i7 920 - 6GB RAM and 250 GB SSD, with 1 TB data disk and 250 GB quick backup (WD protected folders + ACL on basic user )

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@TerrakionSmash
Disclaimer: might change my mind tomorrow when something disturbs me (e.g. irritating ads or running into adblock walls preventing content to be shown). E.g. I was a happy Avira user until one of the news website I daily check started to block content because of Adguard using base filter (checked with uBlock and same happens when using Easylist filter).

Linux Lite (Celeron P4600 - 4GB -250 GB Hybrid)
2nd browser is Chrome - block content of all websites except Netflix & Ziggo TV
1st browser is Chromium - Adguard with Peter's Low blocklist and chrome flag to block dangerous downloads from HTTP with some 80 plus blocks in custom filter and restricting/allowing some TLD's (see below).

Windows 10 Pro (i720 - 6GB - 250GB SSD + 1TB HD + 250GB quick backup)
2nd browser Edge with Adguard (Base + Spyware) and McFee WebAdvisor
1st browser is Chrome Adguard with Peter's Low blocklist and chrome flag to block dangerous downloads from HTTP with some 80 plus blocks in custom filter and restricting/allowing some TLD's (see below)

I always block some Top level Domains [*.]br cf cn ga gdn gq kim kp ml ru ua vip win xys, but allowing cookies (session) and scripts from [*.] nl - be - com - inf - net - org - us - uk - ca - nz - au - ca - de - at (oher content options set to ask or deny).

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
ScriptDefender blocking scripts, iframes and plugins for all except netflix.com
I'd suggest you use ScriptSafe as a better alternative. You can whitelist things permanently via visiting any website and also redo changes. Great extension, blocks iFrames, Scripts, unwanted content, remove Google Analytics, Tracking tokens and a huge lot more. the rest of your Linux config is fab!

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.