Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: windowsdefender security setup

Do you use Internet 8 or 9?

I would recommend using an alternate web browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Opera.

Example:
Chrome : bundled with Flash Player and a PDF Viewer, as well as silent updates.
Opera : it's built-in malware protection, provided by AVG. Read more

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Real-time protection
+1 for the Limited User Account.
I would suggest that you install CIS because the COMODO Firewall is way more powerful than what Windows is offering.

On-demand scanners

VTUploader (Free) - link
To upload a file to VirusTotal, you can visit the main analysis site, click the Browse button to select a file from your hard drive, and then click the Send file button. You can make this process even easier with the free VirusTotal Uploader utility. After installing it, you can simply right-click any file under 20MB and choose "VirusTotal" from the Send To Windows menu. The scan results will display in your browser as usual.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit (Free) - link
With the Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner you have got the powerful Emsisoft Scanner including graphical user interface. Search the infected PC for Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Dialers, Keyloggers and other malign programs.
Run the Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner with a double click on a2emergencykit.exe. Found Malware can be moved to quarantine or finally deleted.

Additional browser protection:
Like Earth said you should really consider changing your browser.You can add this site advisor and a password manager.

WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

LastPass (Free/) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Extra protection:
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011

windowsdefender? lol what are you doing here? :D

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011

I was joking, bro. Btw its me, Cloud. :D

D

Deleted member 178

you really should use Comodo IS, the AV module of CIS is the weakest link, all is the firewall and defense+

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
you really should use Comodo IS, the AV module of CIS is the weakest link, all is the firewall and defense+

A few months ago, I installed Comodo with Antivirus only, but to my surprise the Defense+ component was active too. A huge disappointment. Just sharing my experience with CAV.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

windowsdefender said:
Switched to cis

Good move.Did you change your browser or are you still using IE??

@Earth....same here....When I first installed CAV I didn't expect to see D+ in there..... :)

windowsdefender

Thread author
Aug 31, 2011

Jack said:
windowsdefender said:
Switched to cis

Good move.Did you change your browser or are you still using IE??

@Earth....same here....When I first installed CAV I didn't expect to see D+ in there..... :)
Using Chrome

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

You can change the first post, by Edit > Full Edit.

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
umbrapolaris said:
A few months ago, I installed Comodo with Antivirus only, but to my surprise the Defense+ component was active too. A huge disappointment. Just sharing my experience with CAV.

Defense+ is installed with either the AV or the FW, if you dont want it, just untick it on the setting.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

windowsdefender said:
I plan to test malware inside a vm, tell me what else I might need to keep my host PC safe?

Just make sure your realtime protection is really set all on, in case there is unexpected situation.

Or the better alternative if you have a junk computer you can use the VM there.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.