Advice Request Windscribe appears to bypass some paywalls ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I am using the paid version of Windscribe. I have turned on advertisement filtering (ROBERT).

I read an online newspaper which has both paid and free content. When I access paid-for articles using other VPN services I am faced with a paywall. It is not possible to read the article. Yet Windscribe seems to bypass this and it lets me read the article as if I was a subscriber.

I also look at a website which contains lots of beach webcams. Unless you are a paid subscriber the site forces you to watch an advertisement for 30 seconds and then limits you to 30 seconds webcam footage. However, with Windscribe there is no advertsement and the webcam footage is unlimitied. Its as if I am a paid subscriber. This doesn't work with my other VPN.

The combination that seems to work best for this is browsing through FireFox Focus on my iPad. Although the webcam site is also unlocked on my PC.

From a technical point of view, does anyone know what is going on here ? How does Windscribe achieve this ?
It might be the Windscribe ad-blocker, but on my PC I also have Adguard and Ublock Origin and they don't have this effect.

(PS- I don't think it's a deliberate feature they have built in- it just happens by accident).

Last edited:

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020

Hey.... Don't hack my country, I will kick you b.... :p

Its true you don't need premium with Windscribe on, strange .... but true .

Enjoy see the waves in Portugal ;)

1605275135783.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.