Advice Request Windscribe leaking?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 69673
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
Weather.com will have to comply with the web-browser permissions to request your location, and such information may even be cached if you've used the website before. I use it myself and have seen it failing to work when I deny notifications for location tracking though, even on non-fresh sessions.

Weather.com isn't doing anything special to surpass permissions or prevent a VPN/proxy from functioning as far as I know (and it wouldn't make sense for them to try and do such a thing either). It goes without saying that if you're on a mobile device, it isn't impossible for GPS to be used over the internet connection for determining your location.

Try and do further testing and see if the results still indicate a leak, and if this is the case, seek support from Windscribe, because after all... you're entitled to support as a customer and you the money you spend on them also includes the ability to be listened to and helped by them when you run into problems like these.

Bottom line: you should probably seek to customer support for inquiries like these and hope it goes to someone who knows what they are doing internally who can get back to you about getting down to finding out what the issue is (and resolving it) instead of relying on us given the sensitivity and importance of the issue which may be at hand here.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
When I fist go to weather.com it shows Atlanta Ga as my location but when I click the find me button it shows my real city. I fired up CCleaner and cleared the cash and it still finds me. Only new addition is I installed Forticlient yesterday and see some blocks on Windscribe there. You can see a screen shot I posted in the Forticlient site. I will keep poking around.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
If you want something to try...

Disable FortiClient for any web protection support and then reboot the system. Afterwards, go to weather.com and check if Windscribe still unexpectedly fails.
I will try but I don't think they allow messing with that in the free version. Might have to uninstall Forticlient, then reboot and see what happens. Will let you know.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
ok I uninstalled Forticlient rebooted, ran CCleaner and this time when I go to weather.com, it shows Texas wher I am connected to. Doesn't show my real location anylonger. and so it appears there is some conflict with Forticlient and Windscribe. I noticed a rep from Windscribe is posting on this forum now but the rep oden's seem to post all that often.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I'm running both and I have no conflict with Forticlient whatsoever. Seems rather strange that this has happened to yourself.

~LDogg

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
Where is it too?

~LDogg
I think we are having a communications problem as I don't understand your question. I was using the free versions for Windscribe and Forticlient.
I will reinstall Forticlient and see if it happens again. I only see it on weather.com when clicking the find me button at top of page.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
UPDATE: Just checked again with Forticlient installed and After clearing everything with CC, when I first go to weather.com it shows my location as Atlanta Georgia but when I click the find me button, it does find my correct city and so it has nothing to do with Forticlient. I just wish I knew how they are able to find my correct location.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
Have you tested if your WebRTC is the culprit?

I typed edit:config in edge and there is a box to check for WebRTC but that didn't do the trick. I then went into edge settings, advanced and found the culprit. I had originally clicked allow for weather.com. After deleting that in advanced settings, weather now askes me if I want to allow it again.
I also found that web sites can use your wifi location to find you. I think that is what they are doing if you allow them by clicking yes to allow in their popup. see screen shots.
ScreenHunter_125 Nov. 23 09.49.jpg
ScreenHunter_124 Nov. 23 09.44.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
Have you tested if your WebRTC is the culprit?
It wasn't WebRTC and if you type about flags, that box is left blank by default. You have to check that box. See post # 17.
The culprit was in Edge settings advanced Where is you click yes for them to get your location, that web address shows up in the advanced settings and allows to to remove it. Once I did that the site askes me to allow or not again. If I click no that web site shows listed in advanced setting again but now is flagged as not allow instead of allow and then when going back to the site and clicking the find me button, nothing happens and never get the popup to allow or not. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.