Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
winpatrol6075965.jpg

Screenshots

WinPatrol monitors your computer and does not allow applications to simply add themselves to the startup menu or associate files to themselves. Everything is caught by WinPatrol. It then asks if you agree to what modifications are being done or not.

Features:
* Detect and Review New Auto-Startup Programs.
* Automatically Disable Reoccuring Startup Programs.
* Monitor BHO's and Tool Bars.
* Monitor Creation of Scheduled Tasks.
* Display and Kill Multiple Running Tasks.
* Monitor, Stop and Control Window Services.
* Manage and Automatically Remove Unwanted Cookies.
* Monitor IE Home and Search pages.
* Monitor and Edit HOST File.
* Detect and Lock Changes to File Type Associations.
* Detect and View Newly Created Hidden Files.
* Track Date/Time when programs are first detected on your system.
* Delay Auto-Startup programs for quick bootup.
* Multiple System Report Options.
* Undocumented or HIDDEN Registry Startup Keys.
* Monitoring and Management of ActiveX components.

NEW with WinPatrol 20.5:

Firefox Cookies
Firefox 4.0 uses an updated version of the SQLite database library which included features not supported by WinPatrol. We've updated our SQLite code to support Firefox 4.0 users.

Duplicate WinPatrols
Some 64-bit users reported duplicate WinPatrol entries in the startup programs list. This has been fixed. I've also updated the check box on the Options tab so you can initialization how WinPatrol is set to start.

Provided Cloud Privacy Option
While I'm satisfied with our implemenation of data collected when you keep or remove a program many of your friends using WinPatrol are obviously concerned about privacy. You may uncheck the option to share decisions. This may also reduce complaints by Firewall programs. Most firewall programs are happy as long as you let them know that WinPatrol.exe and WinPatrolEx.exe are safe. Even if you don't participate in sharing your choices, PLUS members will still have useful Cloud data available when checking PLUS Info.

X64 Run Duplicates
Reduced confusion when applications included their RUN registry in both the WOW64 key and legacy RUN key. Both entries will be displayed when "Display Secret Startup locations" is checked.

First Detected Sort
I finally fixed a long time bug in how Startup Programs are sorted. I apoligize that more date for formats are not supported at this time. I know this is important to friends outside the U.S. but security features have taken priority.

User Interface
Some fonts have been tweaked to make sure all information is available.

Digital Signiture
Updated Code Signing Digitial Signiture v3 now valid until June 2012

WinPatrol FREE Features:
One part of the WinPatrol Cloud is a poll where the WinPatrol community of users can provide personal feedback on files that are detected. The poll data will be available to both FREE and PLUS users.

WinPatrol PLUS Features:
The second part is based on software behavior and actions taken by both WinPatrol FREE and PLUS users. The WinPatrol cloud will track how users handle their decision to handle configuration changes. This information is accumulated continuously and will be available when requesting PLUS Info. It's like the Millionaire's "Ask the Audience" feature.
Action based information is available now and in the future additional information on software behavior will help users decide if a program is worth keeping.

* Faster Detection PLUS users will notice any changes are detected even quicker than ever.

* Registry Monitoring Fixed errors monitoring DWord types. Registry monitoring is one of the newest features in WinPatrol and this fix will be useful for many of user provided suggestions.

* Window Services Our new version also fixes some errors in updating Windows Services. When Services were first added to WinPatrol they were a brand new concept but now make up most of the resident programs running on your system.

NEW with WinPatrol 2012 verson 24.0:

Performance - You’ll Love it
First and foremost I’ve been working on making WinPatrol robust and hidden away so under normal circumstances you’ll never know its running. Based on your feedback, I’ve concentrated on making sure WinPatrol works with other security programs. Our research shows that most of you tend to run at least two anti-Virus/Malware programs along with WinPatrol. Many experts will recommend against more than one program but WinPatrol doesn’t work like other malware monitors. It runs great along with other programs. Many Anti-Virus companies may disagree and their support reps will recommend you remove WinPatrol. They haven’t tested with WinPatrol, we have. If a program removes or quarantines WinPatrol just reinstall our setup program. It’s still a quick, easy download.

Cookies – Filter out Bad Cookies Automatically.
Earlier this year Microsoft updated how they name cookie files. They now use random file names but they’re still just unencrypted text files. You can “click here” to read why they decided to make this change. Its makes some sense but broke how WinPatrol manages and filters bad cookies. If you’ve received the update from Microsoft the WinPatrol cookie manager for Internet Explorer will be broken and look like this.

Localization Fix – 64 bit versions
I’m not a big fan of Windows 64 bit OS and our language service packs broke using Windows 64 bit. I’ve fixed this bug and look forward to showing our international friends how much we respect them by releasing new versions of our local versions. Our language packs are created by volunteers and I couldn’t think them enough.

Limitations:
Free version does NOT have these following features.
*Access to WinPatrol PLUS Knowledgebase (24/7)
*Real-time Infiltration Detection
*Increased PLUS Performance
*Automatically respond and/hide specific alerts (NEW!)

Homepage
Download

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
And since I've got a license for WinPatrol PLUS, I'm gonna give this new version a try.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
RE: WinPatrol Version: 24.0.2012.0 (Update 1)

New Version:

What’s NEW with WinPatrol 2012 Update 1 Version 24.0.2012.1 – January 30th, 2012:
• Delayed Start. While not everyone had the same experience some folks reported that Delayed Start was no longer working with WinPatrol 2012. This update will resolve this error and give back one of your favorite features.
• Hidden Files 64 bit. This update also helps fix a bug in the display of hidden files on 64 bit versions of Windows. It doesn’t affect any other versions and has no impact unless you’re using Windows 64 bit version. You’ll know you have Windows 64 bit if you notice the you have both a Program Files folder and one called Program Files (x86).

Download (Default Direct Link)

Enjoy!!:D

jota13

Level 2
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
I really like WinPatrol. This software is very good. It works well with my another security software.

WinPatrol many times protect my system, especially Internet Explorer against changing start page and installation of unwanted extensions like toolbars, etc. Only once this software not coped after installation Format Factory.

To protect Firefox against changing start page and to block browser hijacks You can use Browser Protect. This extension You can download from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/browserprotect/

WinPatrol is very good, even his free version. :)

D

Deleted member 178

I used it before but CIS associated with some free apps (like Autorun) do the same job, the weak point of winpatrol is the long delay between the registry change and the popup appearance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.