WinPatrol WAR (formally WinAntiRansom)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Redbad

Thread author
WinAntiRansom 2016.10.580 - October 2nd, 2016

WAR now blocks all Malware, this includes viruses, trojans, worms, rats and of course ransomware and zero-day threats.
• Automated all protection processes, thus removing the need for manual whitelisting.
• Added a quarantine and the ability to unquarantine items
• Sped up program discovery.
• WAR automatically discovers new programs as soon as they are written to disk.
• Fixed several bugs, like “Allow” button on detection prompts not always working properly.
• Renamed “Allow” to “Allow Next Time” and “OK” to “Quarantine” on detection prompts.
• Updated UI to show program version by default on Programs Page.
• Updated UI to include new Quarantine feature.

https://www.winpatrol.com/mydownloads/

As always...
The WAR Artificial Intelligence Engine.
No signatures/definitions.
No cloud or other Internet dependencies.
Compatible with other security solutions and a valuable part of any layered security solution.
Windows XP thru Windows 10-1607.

"WAR also actively monitors for newly installed/copied programs so that it can make a determination prior to the program being run. This behavior is similar to many AV products “active” protection features." -Bret Lowry (Source available to Moderators. PM me if needed.)

Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
So is this just a prank? XDddddDDDddd
No, not at all....
This is an email I got from them, notice the date.
WAR_Mail.png

If you already own it there is no charge, just update the software
They just upped their game, in a very positive way. ;)

Last edited:
R

Ray Redbad

Thread author
This is a review from around April. Already a good game then, as _CyberGhosT_ points out, positively upped in the meantime.

https://www.thevirusdoc.com/sites/default/files/WinAntiRansomware review.pdf

Of course, there are as well Cruel Sister's most excellent videos...

BTW, I didn't know how to link to the WinPatrol News as Bret apparently publishes exclusively to registered subscribers and I'm not sure if that funky Constant Contact URL works if posted in a public space. I never thought of the good ol' screen shot. Good one _CyberGhosT_ ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This is a review from around April. Already a good game then, as _CyberGhosT_ points out, positively upped in the meantime.

https://www.thevirusdoc.com/sites/default/files/WinAntiRansomware review.pdf

Of course, there are as well Cruel Sister's most excellent videos...

BTW, I didn't know how to link to the WinPatrol News as Bret apparently publishes exclusively to registered subscribers and I'm not sure if that funky Constant Contact URL works if posted in a public space. I never thought of the good ol' screen shot. Good one _CyberGhosT_ ;)
At time of Purchase is when the news letter is offered. I understand this approach as it ensures that the paying customers are in the loop, and it
keeps his resources minimized so there's not a huge list of recipients to maintain ?

R

Ray Redbad

Thread author
So is this just a prank?
No. I thought your post was a joke.

With the developer's URL in the OP and the "other threads" at the bottom of this page I didn't think you could possibly be serious.

And Google.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
WAR may be great, but I highly doubt their AI claim. They should be more precise about that. Their technology may be AI, as in low-level AI, but it's not an AI that is true machine intelligence. I doubt that WAR can know malware without any algorithm put by the dev. It may just be a good behavior blocker, similar to Emsisoft's BB.

In any case, though, from the reviews so far, WAR is great, albeit some reports about some FPs.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
WAR may be great, but I highly doubt their AI claim. They should be more precise about that. Their technology may be AI, as in low-level AI, but it's not an AI that is true machine intelligence. I doubt that WAR can know malware without any algorithm put by the dev. It may just be a good behavior blocker, similar to Emsisoft's BB.

In any case, though, from the reviews so far, WAR is great, albeit some reports about some FPs.
You are right it is Great with some FP's which in short means its not perfect, none are.
You are spot on with the AI, Kerish Dr. has a more advanced AI than WAR lol

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Vendor needs to change name to accurately reflect stated capabilities of product; calling it WinAnitRansom makes many people think it is limited to anti-ransomware.

Common sense...
WinAntiMalware
W.A.M , and they could have Greoge Michaels write them a new jingle, roflmao :p
I wrote that like 3 min ago, it took that long to quit laughing so I could see to hit enter.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
WinAntiMalware
W.A.M , and they could have Greoge Michaels write them a new jingle, roflmao :p
I wrote that like 3 min ago, it took that long to quit laughing so I could see to hit enter.

Absolutely nothing against WAR, but I just simply cannot resist on this one...

images

Protection ???... Stand behind the glass with me... !!!

- George Michaels

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Cyber and H- You guys are spot on. Bret send me a preview build a few weeks ago and although I've had limited time lately to play, it has become fairly obvious to me that WAR has morphed into more of an anti-exe (like Appguard) and by no means should be considered any longer as just an anti-ransomware product.

I'm hesitant to make any conclusions about the current state of WAR considering how far it has come since its recent inception.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Cyber and H- You guys are spot on. Bret send me a preview build a few weeks ago and although I've had limited time lately to play, it has become fairly obvious to me that WAR has morphed into more of an anti-exe (like Appguard) and by no means should be considered any longer as just an anti-ransomware product.

I'm hesitant to make any conclusions about the current state of WAR considering how far it has come since its recent inception.

In looking at the most recent WAR, it is comparable to Voodooshield.

Strictly speaking, AppGuard is more or less AppLocker with a proper GUI, limited access (Standard User) rights for defined programs and process memory protections.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Point taken. But VS will use definition data from VT and in the absence of a Network connection will reject anything. WAR will indeed work without any connection to the Net (I published a video on this a few months ago), allowing good stuff while rejecting the potentially dubious.
That's why I would consider it closer to an anti-exe than a Cloud product like VS.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Point taken. But VS will use definition data from VT and in the absence of a Network connection will reject anything. WAR will indeed work without any connection to the Net (I published a video on this a few months ago), allowing good stuff while rejecting the potentially dubious.
That's why I would consider it closer to an anti-exe than a Cloud product like VS.

The whole Cloud and signature thing is more and more problematic. Not taking a dig at Voodooshield, but just pointing out what most of us knew to be true in 1999...

Even Ai is problematic when analyzing files when it spits out a "middle-hey-I'm-not-sure" score. However, from what I've seen, I think the algorithm is accurate enough at this point for those that want a soft to provide them with a malicious-index in which they can have confidence - most of the time under day-to-day download\introducing-new-files-to-system computing.

From my "look-see" I dig the GUI. For the less knowledgeable\experienced it has a GUI that will enable - along with some reasonable effort at obtaining solid online guidance - lickity-split learning:

hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.