Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
WordPress.com, home to many millions of blogs around the world, is currently being hit by an "extremely large" distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack.

According to the company, some users may experience performance and connectivity problems as a result.

Here's part of the statement we received from Sara Rosso of Automattic, the owners of WordPress.com:

WordPress.com is currently being targeted by a extremely large Distributed Denial of Service attack which is affecting connectivity in some cases. The size of the attack is multiple Gigabits per second and tens of millions of packets per second.

We are working to mitigate the attack, but because of the extreme size, it is proving rather difficult. At this time, everything should be back to normal as the attack has subsided, but we are actively working with our upstream providers on measures to prevent such attacks from affecting connectivity going forward.

DDoS attacks typically involve botnets of compromised computers around the world, bombarding a site with traffic - effectively "clogging it up" and preventing legitimate users from accessing its content.

More details - link

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
WordPress: DDoS Attacks Came From China

The large distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks that hit the WordPress.com blog publishing platform last week originated from China, according to the founder of the site.

More details - link

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I wonder what the motive behind this is, call me clueless but most sites that get attacked, you can pinpoint an educated guess/reason for it?

I'm confused! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.