Worst Passwords of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malware1

Level 76
Thread author
Sep 28, 2011
02.jpg

Sometimes it’s good to be like everyone else — but when it comes to choosing a password, we should all strive to be as unique as possible.

More people choose “password” than any other word or phrase to secure their accounts, according to a recent study. In case you haven’t taken the hint, that makes password the absolute worst string of characters you can chose to protect your online identity.

SplashData has just released its annual list of the worst passwords, which features the most common phrases used on the Internet and posted by hackers.

The three worst passwords haven’t changed since 2011; they’re password, 123456 and 12345678. The new worst passwords added to this year’s list include welcome, jesus, ninja, mustang and password1.

“At this time of year, people enjoy focusing on scary costumes, movies and decorations, but those who have been through it can tell you how terrifying it is to have your identity stolen because of a hacked password,” says Morgan Slain, SplashData CEO. “We’re hoping that with more publicity about how risky it is to use weak passwords, more people will start taking simple steps to protect themselves by using stronger passwords and using different passwords for different websites.”

Here’s the complete list:
  • 1. password (unchanged)
  • 2. 123456 (unchanged)
  • 3. 12345678 (unchanged)
  • 4. abc123 (up 1)
  • 5. qwerty (down 1)
  • 6. monkey (unchanged)
  • 7. letmein (up 1)
  • 8. dragon (up 2)
  • 9. 111111 (up 3)
  • 10. baseball (up 1)
  • 11. iloveyou (up 2)
  • 12. trustno1 (down 3)
  • 13. 1234567 (down 6)
  • 14. sunshine (up 1)
  • 15. master (down 1)
  • 16. 123123 (up 4)
  • 17. welcome (new)
  • 18. shadow (up 1)
  • 19. ashley (down 3)
  • 20. football (up 5)
  • 21. jesus (new)
  • 22. michael (up 2)
  • 23. ninja (new)
  • 24. mustang (new)
  • 25. password1 (new)
We sure hope you didn’t find one of your passwords. If you did, we highly advice you switch it fast. For tips on choosing strong passwords, watch the video above.

Following the high-profile hacks of Yahoo, LinkedIn, eHarmony and Last.fm passwords this year, Internet users have hopefully given some additional thought to their online security. What are your best tips for staying secure online? Let us know in the comments.

Source

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
lol that's everyone of my passwords na only kidding
I find it interesting that so many people use such passwords

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I've seen the password1 before while resetting passwords here. That is the password I have to use if someone want's theirs reset.

D

Deleted member 178

i saw a customer password, wrote on a paper. it was "yourpassword". i asked why this password?
He answered "because they say it" . i say what? where? he shows me, the website with the box "type your password"

:lolz:

P

Plexx

Umbra Corp. said:
i saw a customer password, wrote on a paper. it was "yourpassword". i asked why this password?
He answered "because they say it" . i say what? where? he shows me, the website with the box "type your password"

:lolz:

Internet Education, my friend, Internet Education.

In UK, there are free guides which I believe is called WHICH?.

A good approach since they actually also provide magazines for free.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
choose your password to be "incorrect" so that when ever you forget, the webpage itself will tell you "Your Password is incorrect" :p

D

Deleted member 178

madyrocksin said:
choose your password to be "incorrect" so that when ever you forget, the webpage itself will tell you "Your Password is incorrect" :p

:lolz: very good idea ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.