Worthwhile to use XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
I am actually a windows seven user. My cousin has a desktop. I have currently installed Windows 7 on it, but I re arm it and use it. Its almost 6 months now. I do own a genuine Windows XP Professional license. Is it ok if temprovarily like for a year I switch his desktop to XP? After which mostly he will be purchasing Windows 7 or Windows 8. Ie at least before Jan 2014 the switch will be made as within that time he will get a good job and some bucks. What precautions should I follow.
Like adding extra stuff like EMET etc.
Is it safe to use XP?. Dont worry he is not a complete newbie user and does not engage in high risk activities. His risk status is medium and I plan on installing Kaspersky 2013 on his PC. Thanks for your help.
I am actually waiting for ZOU and a few others to comment.

D

Deleted member 178

- For Aware Power-User, XP is light on system, so on a powerful machine, it will be very good for gaming for example.
- XP need lot of security stuff : a firewall and an AV, all the Win updates, EMET and a secure browser like Chrome is a minimum.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
I plan on doing all of that stuff for XP. I also will be installing SBIE or Bufferzone.
My config would be to set up
KIS 2013
Chrome and FF with ABP
All Windows updates
EMET
Sandbox
MBAM and HMP for scanning and cleaning

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why both Chrome and Firefox?
Firefox requires additional 3rd-party plugins ie. Flash Player, PDF Viewer.
Chrome already has Flash Player and PDF Viewer, which both are updated silently.

Less third-party software = Better protection

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
I always prefer to keep a backup browser. Usually my main was opera and backup was chrome. But recently my main has become chrome and backup ff.
Opera has become unstable. May be i will give it a shot.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i'm a XP user and my only thought is why EMET when it needs .NET Framework and then .NET needs more
security updates to install

and if theres no high risk surfing then i would think Sandboxie would be enough without EMET and .NET

i'v been wanting to try EMET but can't get past the .NET thing .NET is so big and takes alot of security
patches and i'v had problems with .NET in the past with it's security updates not wanting to install and
it's a real pain to uninstall

i think it's easier for Vista and Win 7 users because .NET is already installed

just my thoughts

James

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Agreed with Umbra, since XP is such an outdated OS you will need a lot of security software. If you were even to put Vista on it, it would be better than XP.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I have XP on 3 machines and as long as your careful and have some good protection I see no problems with using it.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Thankyou. Mc Lovin I dont have Vista. If i had I would have used it instead of XP. I agree with JimLin on the .NET part, though i thought that this will reduce my exploitable chances by using EMET. I have had no problems with .net updates on my XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.